Tarix Podkastları

Tallahassee, Florida tarixi

Tallahassee, Florida tarixi


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Tallahassee, FloridaQısa tarixFlorida Panhandle'nin Tallahassee bölgəsinə gələn ilk avropalılar*, 1528-ci ildə, Conquistador Panfilo de Narvaez, Kuba sahillərində bir qasırğadan sağ çıxdıqdan sonra təxminən 400 adamla birlikdə gəldikdə, İspan idi. de Narvaezin adamları Hindistan hücumlarından, əlavə qasırğalardan və gəminin pilotunun onsuz ayrılmasından sağ çıxmadılar. Floridada qapalı qaldıqdan 8 il sonra de Narvaezin adamları, ekspedisiyadan sağ çıxmamış deNarvaez olmadan Mexiko şəhərindəki təyinat yerinə gəldilər. . Anhaica'nın Apalachee kəndini zorla ələ keçirdiyi bilinən de Soto, qərb nöqtələrinə getməzdən əvvəl 1538-1539-cu ilin qışında orada dörd aylıq bir yaşayış yeri qurdu. güclü müqavimətlə. Apalachey əkinçiliyinin müvəffəqiyyətini görən missionerlər, yerlilərdən bir az yemək "götürməyə" və onları missioner bağlarında işləməyə təşviq etməyə çalışdılar. Qurduqları missiya yerlərindən ən əhəmiyyətlisi Missiya San Luis de Apalachee idi. Amerikada İspaniyanın əyalət paytaxtı olaraq xidmət etdi. Zamanla bir qədər xarab olsa da, missiya qismən yenidən quruldu və indi 21-ci əsrdə Tallahassee'de bir turistik məkandır. İspaniya 1821-ci ildə Floridanı ABŞ-a verdikdən sonra bir ərazi üçün mərkəzdə bir yer tapmağa ehtiyac var idi. və daha sonra ümid edilən bir dövlət paytaxtı. Atlantik dəniz sahilindəki Augustine və Körfəz sahilindəki Pensacola, yerləri arasında alternativ görüşlər keçirmək məcburiyyətini ortadan qaldırmaq üçün bir -birindən eyni məsafədə bir yer tapma vəzifəsi verildi. Trivia meraklıları üçün şəhərin adı, daha sonra Seminole qəbiləsi olaraq bilinən Creek qəbiləsindən, "köhnə tarlalar" və ya "köhnə şəhər" üçün Muskogean hind sözündən yaranmışdır. Tallahassee'nin necə yazılacağına dair müəyyən bir qeyri -müəyyənlikdən və mübahisədən sonra, şəhərin son yazılışının ərazinin qubernatorunun həyat yoldaşı Octavia Walton tərəfindən verildiyi söylənilir. Vətəndaş Müharibəsi zamanı Birlik ordusu tərəfindən ələ keçirilməmişdi (Austin, Texas, Şimal tərəfindən də boş qaldı).Kolleclər və UniversitetlərTallahassee'deki ali təhsil, Florida State University, Florida A&M Universiteti, Tallahassee Community College və Barry Universiteti kimi qurumları əhatə edir. Universitet, əsaslarını müvəffəqiyyətlə müdafiə edən yeganə qeyri-hərbi akademiya hesab olunur.Muzeylər və digər mədəniyyət obyektləriTallahassee'yi ziyarət edən turistlər, Goodwood Muzeyi və Bağları, Knott Evi və Tallahassee Tarix və Elm Muzeyi kimi keçmiş böyük antebellum Cənub əkinlərini görmək üçün əla fürsətlərdən istifadə etmələri tövsiyə olunur. , Goodwood Muzeyi və Bağlarıdır. Ziyarətçilər nəhəng malikanəsi, çardaq meydançası, kobud evi, ahırları, çoxsaylı kottecləri və rəsmi bağları ilə zəngin aristokratik Cənubun möhtəşəmliyinin şahidi olurlar. Napoleon Bonaparte, bu tarixi 1840s plantasiyasında. 52 hektarlıq sərhədləri daxilində, 1850-ci illərə təsadüf edən Afrikalı-Amerikalı bir kilsə və məktəb evi və 1880-ci illərdən etibarən Tallahassee və Floridanın qalan hissəsində Afrikalı Amerikalıların tarixi və mədəniyyəti ilə maraqlananlar üçün bura John G. Riley Ev Muzeyində, Vətəndaş Haqları hərəkatı vasitəsi ilə, Yenidənqurma dövründən Afrikalı Amerikalıların həyatı və dövrlərini əks etdirən eksponatlar nümayiş olunur.İdmanTallahassee heç bir peşəkar idman təşkilatına ev sahibliyi etməsə də, FSU Seminoles kimi yerli kolleclər, idman həvəskarlarına kişi futbolu, basketbol, ​​futbol və golf da daxil olmaqla bir çox proqramdan canlı hərəkətlər təqdim edir. FSU -nun loqotipləri Florida, Seminole Tribe -in yazılı icazəsi ilə istifadə olunur.


* Ponce de Leon, 1513 -cü ildə Floridanın Atlantik Sahili və yarımadanın şimalındakı Caloosahatchee çayı sahillərini araşdırdı.


Tallahassee, Florida tarixi - Tarix

Leon County, Florida

Azad Şəcərəyə həsr olunmuş könüllülər


Tarixi Hesab
-dən
İrsimiz
Tallahassee, Florida 1528-1976
müəllif Ruth Yost


(Genealogy Trails Transcription Team tərəfindən tərcümə edilmişdir)

Giriş
Bu, hər yaşdan məlumat və zövq üçün yazılmış Mini tarixdir. Oxucular Tallahassee tarixi ilə maraqlanmırlarsa, ümid edirik ki, bu kiçik eskiz onları daha çox maraqlandıracaq və həvəsini başqaları ilə bölüşəcək.

Tarix Odlarından Qığılcımlar
Erkən bir hesabatda & quot; Tallahassee Ölkəsi & quot; Amerika Birləşmiş Ştatlarının heç bir yerindən tamamilə fərqli olaraq & quot; sahil sahilinə yaxındır, buna baxmayaraq Atlantik Ştatlarında çayların şəlalələrinin üstündəki yüksək əraziyə bənzəyir. Təbii palıd və maqnoliya, hickory və fıstıq bağları, İngilis zadəganlarının ən qürurverici parklarını möhtəşəmliyi ilə üstələyir. & Quot; Florida düzənlikləri şimala doğru Tallahassee dağlarının ani ritminə çevrilir. Sakit bulaqlar və çiçəklər ölkəsi, Jamestowndan və ya digər İngilis koloniyalarından yüz il əvvəl Avropalılara məlum idi.

Dili Choctawa bənzəyən Muskhogean əcdadlarından olan Apalachee hindliləri, qeydə alınan ən ilk sakinlər idi. Onların adı digər tərəfdən insanlar mənasını verən Choctaw & quotAp'palahi & quot; sözündən götürülmüşdür. Lakin arxeoloji tədqiqatlar göstərir ki, Apalachee Creeks və Seminole hindliləri uzun bir hindlilərin sonuncusu idi. Hindistanın Tallahassee tarixi 10 min il əvvələ gedib çıxır. Bu erkən hindlilər ovçu, balıqçı və kök, qoz -fındıq və giləmeyvə toplayırdılar. Daha sonra İspan kəşfiyyatçıları Apalachee bölgəsinə çatdıqda, hindliləri İspan yosundan hazırlanmış qısa paltar geyinərək tapdılar. Soyuq havalarda hindlilər aşılanmış heyvanların dərisindən (əsasən maraldan) hazırlanmış geyimlər əlavə etdilər. İlk hindlilər nə dulusçuluq düzəltmişdilər, nə də yayları vardı. Bunun əvəzinə heyvanları ovlamaq üçün atma ehtiyatı adlandırdıqları bir silahdan istifadə etdilər. Atma çubuğunun bir ucunda nizə ucu yerləşdirilən, digər ucu isə əlində tutulan çəngəl şəkilli bir alət vardı. Bu alət böyük bir güclə atıla bilər.

Floridanın ilk valisi olaraq tanınan Panphilo de Narvaez, 1727 15 iyun, gəmidə 400 adamla İspaniyadan yola düşdü. Kral Pul kisəsinin xəzinədarı olan Cabeza de Vaca'nın müşayiəti ilə Narvaez, Tampa körfəzindən Apalachee ölkəsinə getdi, burada sərvət tapacağına ümid etdi, ancaq daha yaxşı bir liman tapdı. De Vaca, Apalachen adlanan şimal əyalətinin Tampa Körfəzində hindlilər tərəfindən çox qızıl və hamısının maraqlandığı bir çox şeyə sahib olduqlarını yazdığını yazdı. Bu təşviq notu ilə Tallahassee bölgəsində qızıl axtarmağa başladılar. Heç bir qızıl tapmadığı üçün məyus olan və Apalachee hindliləri ilə qanlı atışmalar yaşayan Narvaez, Meksikaya ekspedisiyası üçün gəmilərini qurduğu Müqəddəs Marksa doğru cənuba doğru döndü. Cabeza de Vaca, digər üç İspan və bir zənci ilə birlikdə Meksika səfərinin çətinliyindən sağ çıxdı və Apalachee hindliləri ilə dostluq etmək üçün geri qayıtdı. İspanlar, çarmıxa işarə edərək, üfürərək sonra dua edərək xəstə hinduları idarə etdilər.

Cabeza de Vaca, Florida tarixində rəngarəng bir şəxsiyyət idi və adını necə aldığı hekayəsi absurd, lakin maraqlı idi. La Reconquista müharibələri zamanı Moorları cənuba doğru itələyən Xristian Ordusu Sevillanın şimalındakı Sierra Morena dağlarına çatdı. Moorish ordusu dağ keçidini tuturdu və xristian hücum komandirləri geri çəkilməyi əmr edirdilər ki, birdən Martin Alhaja adlı bir kəndli özünü Navarra Kralı Sançoya təqdim etdi və xristianların Moorlara hücum edə biləcəyi mühafizəsiz bir keçid göstərməyi təklif etdi. arxa. O, girişi & quot; kəllə sümüyü ilə işarələmişdi. Kəndli Martin Alhaja və onun nəslinə dəyərli xidmətlərini ödəmək üçün onlara "inək quotskull" mənasını verən Cabeza de Vaca adı verdi.

De Vaca'nın gündəliyi, İspaniya dövründəki hadisələri izah etməsi ilə məşhurdur. Apalachen hesabında, indi Tallahassee adlanan şəhəri & quot40 kiçik evləri, alçaq və çəmənlikləri, böyük ağacları və açıq meşələri, bir çox gölləri, böyük və kiçik, qarğıdalı tarlaları, marallar, kral ördəkləri, gecə balıkları və şəhəri əhatə edən kəklik. & quot

Hernando DeSoto, Florida -nın cənub -qərbinə eniş etdikdən sonra bölgəyə gedişini izah edən Apalachen ölkəsindəki mifik zənginliklə də maraqlandı. DeSoto, Apalachendə bir neçə ay keçirdi və tarixçilərə görə, ilk Milad Kütləsini Tallahassee'de Jackson Gölü yaxınlığındakı Hind Höyüklərində keçirdi. ABŞ -a enişinin hesabları dəyişir. Bradenton şəhəri, hər ilin mart ayında DeSoto -nun enişini yaşadıqları əraziyə enişini xatırlayan bir DeSoto Festivalı ilə qeyd edir. Bradenton DeSoto Krewe, 1969 -da Springtime Tallahassee şənliklərində iştirak etmək ənənəsinə başladı və bu ənənəni qorudu. Hər il Bradenton Krewe, Andrew Jackson və Tallahassee'deki işçilərini paradda iştirak etməyə dəvət edir.

Tarixçi John Parris, Appalachian Dağlarının Tallahassee'nin Apalachee hindlilərinin adını aldığını bildirdi. O, 1539-40-cı illərin qışını Apalachendə keçirdikdən sonra, dağlara sonrakı səyahətlərinin hələ də Apalachee əyalətində olduğu fərziyyəsi ilə DeSotonun Appalachiansa yanlış ad verdiyini qeyd etdi.

İspan kəşfiyyatçıları gəldikdən sonra, 1674-cü ilə qədər Franciscan Friars, Apalachee'de, əksəriyyəti indiki Tallahassee ətrafında cəmlənmiş on üç missiya qurmağı bacardı. Onların əsas məqsədi Apalachee hindilərini xristianlaşdırmaq idi. Ən vacib və ən yaxşı tanıdığımız missiya, indi Missiya Yolu üzərindəki Messer Plantasiyası olaraq bilinən şeyin arxasında yerləşən San Luis Missiyası idi. Missiyanın ətrafındakı Hindistan kəndləri indi San Luis silsiləsi adlanan ərazidə yerləşirdi. Missiya o günlərdə San Luis de Talimale olaraq bilinirdi.

İspan missiyaları 1704 -cü ilə qədər Karolinalı Qubernator James Mooreun başçılıq etdiyi İngilislər və Creek Hindistanlı müttəfiqləri ilə birlikdə Macon, Corciya ştatından hind döyüşçülərini gətirərək Floridaya qisas basqınları həyata keçirdi. Qubernator Mur, İspanların təşviq etdiyi Apalachee hindularının basqınlarını onun ərazisinə yayacağından qorxdu və Apalachee torpaqlarını boşa çıxardı. Müqəddəs Avqustindən Tallahassee -dəki missiyalar, San Luis Missiyası istisna olmaqla məhv edildi, çünki bu missiya fidyə ödədiyi üçün xilas edildi. Ancaq kiçik çubuqlar və palçıq kimi tez xarab olan materiallardan tikildiyindən, bu gün missiya dövrünün görünən qalıqları yoxdur. Dövlət Katibi yanında Dövlət Hökuməti Arxivlərində, erkən Floridanın tapılmış bütün missiyalarının şəkilləri var və gələcəkdə yenidən qurulacağına ümid var. XVII əsrin son yarısında Apalachee hindularının öz ibadət yerləri var idi və İspan əsgərlərinin qarnizonu tərəfindən qorunurdu.

1594 -cü ilə aid ən qədim yazılı kilsə kilsə qeydləri hələ də Floridada saxlanılır. Rekordda göstərilən ən erkən evliliklərdən biri Vincent Solana ilə Maria Vincente'dir. ABŞ -da sağ qalan ən yaşlı ispan ailəsidir. Bu ailənin nəsillərindən biri bu gün Tallahassee şəhərində yaşayır və adı Mission Road kənarındakı San Luis Ridge bölməsinə gedən əsas küçədə tapıla bilər.

İspanların Apalachee'yi tərk etmədiyi bildirildi. Əslində 1716 -cı ildə bir İspan, Florida Paytaxtının Pensacola'dan Tallahassee'ye - torpağın bərəkətli, yeməyi bol və geniş və dərin olduğu limanlara köçməsini müdafiə etdi.

İspanların Floridaya gətirdikləri bəzi ənənələr arasında Mummering (maskalı geyimlərdə hərəkət etmək) adəti də vardı. Bu ənənə Miladdan Lentə qədər geyimli və maskalı əyləncələr evdən -evə gəzərkən, oynayarkən, mahnı oxuyanda və rəqs edərkən müşahidə olunurdu. Mardi Gras şənlikləri Milad bayramının qalıqlarıdır.

İspan ənənəsinə görə, Yeni il gecəsi, Yeni il şərəfinə rəqs edən, flört edən və bir çox mənasız və ləzzətli adətlərə riayət edən gənclər üçün gey bir hadisə idi. Bu gecə tərəfdaşlar təkcə partiya üçün deyil, bütün il üçün uyğunlaşdırıldı. Gecə yarısında saatın vurulması münasibətilə ən çox diqqət çəkən məqam oldu. Gecə yarısı hamı möhtəşəm saatı eşitmək üçün tələsdi. Hər əyləncə ustası on iki üzümü udaraq saatın on iki vuruşunu müşayiət etməyə çalışdı! Yeni ildən sonrakı gün, kilsəyə getmək və evlərdə şənlik keçirməklə keçirildi, hətta on iki ayın şansının ilin ilk günündə nə edəcəyinizdən asılı olduğuna dair köhnə xurafatların əyləncəli şəkildə qeyd olunmasından başqa.

James Moore 1704 -cü ildə Apalachee'ye girdikdən sonra otuz il ərzində Tallahassee ətrafındakı ölkə demək olar ki, tamamilə tərk edildi, lakin yavaş -yavaş torpaq insanlarla dolmağa başladı. 1735 -ci ildə aşağı Körfəzlər və Seminollar, Hindistan dillərində "OLD SAHALAR" adlanan əraziyə, atalarının çöllərinə qayıtmağa başladılar. Xoruzların bir Hindistan kəndindən digərinə qışqırdığını eşidə bildikləri üçün kəndlər tezliklə & quot; Fowltowns & quot;

1763 -cü ildə, iki əsrlik məskunlaşmadan sonra, İspan Florida, St Marks və Pensacola'daki qarnizon olan Sent Augustine'den ibarət idi. Elə həmin il İngiltərə Paris müqaviləsində Floridanı ələ keçirdi. İspaniya Floridanı Havana, Kuba ilə dəyişdi və İngiltərə Floridanı İspaniyaya geri verənə qədər 1783 -cü ilə qədər Floridadakı İspan hökmranlığına son qoydu.

1818 -ci ildə 51 yaşında olan General Andrew Jackson, adamları ilə birlikdə bellərində gəzə bildikləri qədər ərzaq aldı və Apalachicola çayından şərqə doğru "Miccosuki" yə doğru getdi. Kəşfiyyatçıları ov dərisindən köynək və ya canavar dərisindən və köynəkdən papaq geymişdilər. Ceksonun milis koloniyası min nəfər idi. Tallahassee -yə girəndə, bütün hindlilər onun gəlişindən az əvvəl onu tərk etmişdilər. Hindlilər hələ göz qabağındaykən, Cekson onu yerə yandırdı. Müqəddəs Marklar, 1818 -ci il aprelin 6 -da hindlilərə nəzarət etmək səbəbi ilə General Cekson tərəfindən alındı. HİNDİAN, İSPANYOL və İNGİLİZ QAYDASININ uzun xətti Ceksonun gəlişi ilə sona çatdı. Müharibə, Ceksonun düşmən hindlilərin Pensacolada toplandığını və oradakı İspan qubernatorunun ordu mülklərinin daşınmasına müdaxilə etdiyini öyrənənə qədər bitmiş kimi görünürdü. Ceksonun güc nümayişi ilə ispanlar təslim oldu və Cekson Birinci Seminole Müharibəsinin hərbi mərhələlərini başa vurdu.

Floridanın ABŞ -a təhvil verilməsindən sonra Konqresin daimi hökumət kürsüsü üçün şərtlər irəli sürməməsi, Tallahassee əyalətinin paytaxtı olmaq şansını verdiyi üçün Tallahassee üçün şanslı idi.

General Andrew Jackson 1821 -ci ildə Floridaya hərbi qubernator təyin edildi. O, qiymətli bir xatirə olan bir düşərgə sandığı ilə Tallahassee'ye gəldi. Virciniya ştatının Yorktown şəhərində İngilis qüvvələrini General George Vaşinqtona təslim etdikdən sonra İngilis General Cornwallisin çadırında tapılan qara şam idi, İnqilab Müharibəsini sona çatdıran zirvəsi. Ceksondan hər il yanvarın 6 -da Yeni Orlean Döyüşünün ildönümü olan qara şamı yandırması istəndi. Cekson qubernator vəzifəsindən bədbəxt idi və yeddi ay sonra istefa verdi. Borunun zövqünü həm ictimai, həm də təkbətək zövq alan həyat yoldaşı Rachel, Tallahassee xanımları arasında o qədər də populyar deyildi.

Qanunverici iclaslar hər il Müqəddəs Avqustin və Pensakola arasında keçirilirdi. Şura, hökumətin sənədlərini və qeydlərini 400 mildən çox geri götürməkdən yoruldu, buna görə də paytaxtı mərkəzləşdirmək qərarı verildi. Floridanın mərkəzi və cənubu bu ərazilərdə az və ya heç olmadığı üçün nəzərə alınmadı, buna görə də paytaxtı şərqlə qərb arasında yerləşdirmək qərarına gəldilər.

1823 -cü ildə Ceksonun yerinə keçən ilk ərazi qubernatoru William P. Duval, Pensacola'dan tanınmış bir hüquqşünas John Lee Williams və həkim William St. . Bələdçisi William Ellis olan bələdiyyə üzvləri, yeni Tallahassee bölgəsinin ən əhəmiyyətli rəisi Neamathla ilə görüşdülər. Ertəsi gün & quotold Tallahassee & quot -ni ziyarət etdilər, burada Chifixico başçı idi. Rəis bir ovuc kir götürdü, tutdu və qəzəblə buranın torpağı olduğunu bildirdi.

Simmons Şərqi Floridiyalıları təmsil edirdi və Müqəddəs Avqustin yaxınlığında bir yer seçmək üçün narahat idi, lakin Williams Kaskadların və ətrafdakı meşələrin və təpələrin gözəlliyi ilə ovsunlandı. O, Kaskadları Yerə daxil olan bir axınla çıxarılan dərin körfəz kimi təsvir edir. . . on dörd fut dərinlikdə bir çuxur. . . Bu körfəzə iyirmi və ya otuz fut hündürlükdə bir bankın üzərinə düşən axın, aşmış bir dəyirmanı çevirmək üçün kifayət qədər böyükdür.

Komissarları Tallahassee'nin & quot; Köhnə Sahələri & quot; ni paytaxt olaraq seçməyə cəlb edən mühit, 1970 -ci illərdən başlayaraq Kapitol binasının şərqində və cənubundakı Kaskadların bərpasını təşviq etmək üçün vətəndaşları təşviq etdi.

Qubernator Duval, 4 Mart 1824 -cü ildə Kaskadlara baxan paytaxt üçün bir yer seçdikdən sonra, komissarların Tallahassee'nin köhnə çöl sahələrindən bir mil cənub -qərbdə və Oke'nin təxminən yarım mil cənubunda bir sahə seçdiklərini bildirən bir bəyanat verdi. -lock-o-ny və Tallahassee quyruğu, köhnə İspan Yolunun cənuba doğru uzanan kiçik bir cığırla kəsişdiyi nöqtədə. & quot; 24 Mayda Konqres Aktı, paytaxt üçün üçdə bir torpaq sahəsini ayırdı. ehtiyatda daha çox dörddəbir bölmə. Qısa müddət sonra Duval Müqəddəs Avqustini tərk edərək Müqəddəs Marksa gedir. Vali Duval, Müqəddəs Marks'taki bir gəmidən, Kapitol üçün bir günlük kabin inşa edilənə qədər hökumətin işlərini idarə etdi. 1974 -cü ildə Capitol -də Sesquicentennial bayramı üçün tikilmiş bir nüsxə indi Gənclər Muzeyinin girişindədir.

Müqəddəs Marksda hind işlərini aparan Duvalın olmadığı təqdirdə, ərazi katibi və qubernator vəzifəsini icra edən polkovnik George Walton, Tallahassee adlanacaq birinci dörddəbir hissəsinin dəqiq yerini seçdi. Bu, Floridada gələcəkdə keçiriləcək bütün araşdırmaların aparılacağı nöqtə idi. Bu nöqtəyə Baş Meridian adı verildi.

Kaskadların bərpası sahəsində yerləşən Baş Meridian işarəsi, ictimai qeydlərdə və rəsmi yazışmalarda Floridadakı bütün quru tədqiqatları üçün başlanğıc nöqtəsi olaraq tanınır. İlk şəhər mühəndisi, 1923 -cü ildə Surveyor General Slocum -un Prime Meridian markerindən (bu gün də qalır) test anketləri keçirdi və xətlərin Tallahassee -də heç bir tanınmış sərhədlərə və küçələrə getmədiyini tapdı. Bir neçə tanınmış markeri açaraq və geriyə doğru araşdıraraq 100 il bundan əvvəl Surveyor General Butler tərəfindən qoyulmuş işıq ağacının payını iki hindu yolunun qovuşduğu yerdə tapdı. Bununla birlikdə, Baş Meridianın yerləşdirilməsindəki səhv ciddi deyil, çünki sorğu ən yaxın əvvəl qurulmuş nöqtədən aparılır. Mərhum hakim Ben Meginniss bir dəfə dedi ki, daşın Slocum-un 1892-ci ildə yenidən qurduğu nöqtədən təxminən 10 fut qısa olması səbəbini Wakulla mahalından iki min funtluq daşı götürən vaqonun bir neçə metr aşağıya batması olduğunu eşitdim. qısa və orada boşaldılmışdır. Butler heç bir daş olmadığı üçün bir ağac ağacından istifadə etdi, lakin Qanunvericilik 1853 -cü ildə bürünc yazısı olan bir daş markerinə icazə vermişdi və 1891 -ci ilə qədər heç bir tədbir görülməmişdi.

Baş Meridianı bir başlanğıc nöqtəsi olaraq istifadə edən Tallahassee, Capitol binasını əhatə edən Meydanlara qoyuldu. Kapitolun ətrafındakı Meydanların adlarından bu gün yalnız Kalhoun Caddesindəki Vaşinqton Meydanı Binası adlanan bina qaldı. Digər meydanlar Wayne, Green və Jackson idi. Təxminən 4 bloka uzanan Park Avenue, 200 Foot Street adlanırdı və erkən Tallahassee'nin şimal sərhədi idi.

Niyə Tallahassee -nin köhnə ailələrinin bir çoxunun Virciniya və Şimali Karolinadan, Corciya və Cənubi Karolinadan çox az ataları var? Bu, 1825 -ci ildə Tallahassee ətrafındakı ərazi Federal agentlər tərəfindən Tallahassee şəhərini qurmaq və daimi bir Capitol binası tikmək üçün pul yığmaq üçün hərracda satıldığı zaman ABŞ Xəzinədarlıq Katibinin əmrinin nəticəsidir. Katibin əmri ilə torpaq agentləri, siyasi manevr olan satışda Corciya və Cənubi Karolinanın əskinaslarını qəbul edə bilmədilər. Bu, torpağın hər hektarını minimum 1.25 dollara satması ilə nəticələndi və çox, çox dəli Gürcülər və Cənubi Karolinalılar iyrənərək evlərinə getdilər.

Bertram Groene yazır: & quot; Yavaş -yavaş, amma şübhəsiz ki, Tallahassee şəhəri irəliləyiş və gerilik dövrünü, pis günlərini və yaxşı vaxtlarını sərhəd qəsəbəsindən şəhər həyatının mükəmməlliyinə doğru irəliləmişdir. Məktəblər erkən özəl məktəblərdən hamı üçün bir xalq təhsili sisteminə qədər inkişaf etdi, ali təhsil müəssisələri tədricən meydana gəldi. Vətəndaş müharibəsindən əvvəlki 37 il ərzində qəzetlər Tallahassee -də çoxaldı. 13 fərqli adda həftəlik qəzetlər var idi. Ərazidə və ya əyalətdə heç bir başqa şəhərdə bu qədər qəzet yox idi və iki aparıcı qəzetin keyfiyyətinə malik olanlar az idi - Sentinel, Floridian və Jurnal.

1834 -cü ilə qədər Tallahassee, cənubun bir çox görkəmli ailələri tərəfindən məskunlaşdı. Onların nəslindən bəziləri bu gün də Tallahassee'de yaşayırlar. Bir çox küçələrimiz bu görkəmli ailələrin adını daşıyır.

Tallahassee digər sərhədlərdən heç bir fərqi yox idi. Ruffianları da, qəbilələri də var idi. Duellər, davalar və şiddət sonrakı illərin vəhşi vəhşi qərbini əhliləşdirmiş kimi göstərə bilərdi.

Bu gün Monroe Caddesi boyunca gəzərkən, bir zamanlar arzuolunmaz elementlərin sığınacağına çevrilmiş bir yarış pisti olduğuna inanmaq çətindir. Thomas Jeffersonun qızı Maria'nın oğlu Francis Eppes, Leon County'dan L'Eau Noir adlı bir plantasiya aldı. 1835 -ci ildə ailəsini Tallahassee'ya köçürdü və onlar ən görkəmli vətəndaşlardan idi. Eppes ilk bələdiyyə başçısı oldu. Dərhal qayda -qanun və yarış pistinin aradan qaldırılması proqramı ilə başladı. 1843-cü ildə öz təsirini göstərən sarı qızdırma epidemiyasından sonra, tələsik tikilmiş çərçivəli binaların əksəriyyəti yanğından uzaqlaşdı. Eppes daha sonra şəhərin mərkəzindəki binaların hörgü yenidən qurulmasını tələb edən yeni kodlar hazırladı.

Tallahassee -yə məskunlaşmaq üçün gələn zəngin əkinçilər böyük torpaq sahələri alıb pambıq əkdilər. On iki mil pambıq tarlaları, kürsülərdən Tallahassee qədər uzanırdı. Bu gün Chaires -də yaşayan bəzi ailələr pambıq tarlalarını xatırlayır. Andrew Jacksonun yaxın dostu olan əkinçilərdən ikisi Richard Keith Call və General Surveyor Robert Butler idi. Çağırış iki dəfə qubernator oldu və biri Orchard Gölet adlı Jackson Gölü üzərində, digəri isə indiki Qubernator malikanəsinin yanında yerləşən iki malikanəyə sahib idi. The Grove adlanan bu ev hələ də istifadə olunur və ailədə qalmışdır.

1825 -ci ilin ilk yarısında Tallahassee'de dramatik bir artım baş verdi. Pensacola Qəzeti, yeni Tallahassee kəndinin, artıq müəssisələrə əlavə olaraq bir kilsə, məktəb, yeddi mağaza, aptek mağazası, iki ayaqqabı istehsalçısı, iki dəmirçi, üç dülgər, dərzi və üç kərpic zavodu. İlk təşkil ediləcək Metodist kilsəsi, 1840 -cı ildə St John's Episcopal, First Presbyterian, Monroe Street üzərindəki Katolik və İlk Baptist Kilsəsi tərəfindən izlənildi. şəhər & quot; din var. & quot

1840 -cı illərdə, Centerville Yolu üzərindəki şəhərin 10 mil şimalındakı Pisgah Metodist Kilsəsi, ətrafdakıların ictimai həyatında böyük rol oynadı. Xidməti silahlı mühafizəçilər altında keçirməli idi. Tüfəngli və tüfəngli kişilər, kilsənin xaricində, o bölgədə tez -tez baş verən Hindistan hücumlarından qorunmaq üçün yerləşdirilmişdi. Yerli vətəndaşlardan bir neçəsi qapısını açıq saxlamaqda çətinlik çəkdi və hər bazar günü bir xidmət keçirilir. Bu günə qədər hər il may ayının ilk bazar günü bütün üzvlər və dostlar üçün bir ibadət xidməti və gəzinti ilə qeyd olunur.

Leon əyalətinin ən pis hindli qırğını 1838 -ci ildə Green Hill Kreslolar Plantasiyasındakı Lafayette Gölü yaxınlığında baş verdi. Kafedraların evinin necə yandırıldığı barədə bir çox fərqli mağazaya məlumat verildi. O dövrdə nəşr olunan bir hekayə, cənab Sədrlər öz torpağına düşən (və gəzib dolaşan) bir hindlini şillələyəndə hindlilərin hücumunun təhrik edildiyini göstərir. Eyni hesabat, hindlinin Seminole lideri Tiger Tail olduğunu irəli sürdü. Kim güllə atdısa, o xanım Chaires'i öldürdü, sonra evi yandırdı. Cənab Chaires, həyat yoldaşını və on yaşlı qızını yandırılaraq tapdı.

There were several Chaires brothers and they all owned thousands of acres of land. Benjamin Chaires owned 9000 acres with a three-story brick mansion on it when he died. Most of the land east of Tallahassee from what is now the Apalachee Parkway northward to Miccousukee Road was once owned by the Chaires family. A portion of the Chaires plantation located on Miles Johnson Road later belong to George Proctor, and his house still stands, the only freed slave who lived in the area. Proctor was the son of Antonio Proctor who came from the Bahamas and served as a guide to both Indians and whites. He was fluent in several languages and proved invaluable to the community. Antonio and George Proctor established themselves as a friend to all. Proctor, who was a contractor, built the Tallahassee Garden Center on North Calhoun Street.

William Williams, whose nickname was "Money" Williams, opened the Bank of Florida. The city commissioners were so desirous of a bank that they sold "Money" Williams the corner of Adams and 200-Foot Street (E. Park Avenue) for $5.00. (E. C. Allen Christian Life Center stands there today). Williams had the Columns and the Union Bank building built around 1830. Benjamin Chaires was given the contract for building the Columns but it is believed that he sub-contracted it to George Proctor. The Columns building was moved and is now used by the Chamber of Commerce on Duval Street. The little Union Bank was later moved to Apalachee Parkway in front of the Capitol.

The Tallahassee scene in the early days was one of "the gay life," especially on the plantations.

Prince Achille Murat, nephew of Napoleon, a most colorful and eccentric character, was one of Tallahassee's earliest and most notable citizens. Prince Murat observed, "The first indication of regular society is generally public holidays. The 4th of July, Independence Day, Washington's birthday, and the 6th of January which was the anniversary of the Battle of New Orleans." The first recorded 4th of July celebrated in Tallahassee was in 1826. The Declaration of Independence was read followed by an oration and toasts. The ceremony was followed by a barbecue. On the 4th of July each year the Bradford brothers held a big barbecue for all the workers on their adjoining plantations. Many days before, huge pits were dug and oak fires were burned until the pits were half full of glowing coals. Green hickory poles were put across and on those were laid whole cows and fat hogs with mouths held open by a sweet potato. Each plantation had a head cook who directed the seasoning—pepper, mustard, and vinegar were put on at the time the meat was turned. The women baked bread, roasted potatoes, and made coffee. The most popular form of entertainment after the meal was an afternoon nap, and then came the watermelon! The last big celebration of the 4th of July was in 1856 when tension began to rise between the Southern and Northern states.

[end of transcription - there are another 15 pages dealing with more current history of Tallahassee]


Florida Governor's portraits and biographies.

  • Uşaqlar
  • Sürətli faktlar
  • Florida State Symbols
  • Florida History
    • A Brief History
    • Prehistoric Native People
    • 16th Century Settlements
    • Seminole History
    • Florida Governors
    • The Capitol
    • U.S. Navy in Florida

    Ron DeSantis, Governor
    Laurel M. Lee, Secretary of State

    Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

    Copyright © 2021 State of Florida, Florida Department of State.


    History of Tallahassee, Florida - History

    Welcome to Florida History Day!

    Florida History Day, in consultation with NHD, has developed templates and procedures for a virtual contest so the History Day projects of Florida students can be evaluated in an online environment. FHD is dedicated to providing the same quality program as in previous years and will maintain high standards for the judging of all competing entries.

    Sponsored by the Museum of Florida History, Florida History Day (FHD) is an annual, statewide activity that enhances the teaching and learning of history at middle and high school. Florida joins 49 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, and international schools in East and South Asia as an affiliate of National History Day ® (NHD). NHD promotes history in the classroom by offering students the resources and support to do original research about people, ideas, and events of the past. The curriculum supports the project-based learning approach. Click here to learn more about Florida History Day.


    Tallahassee's slave graveyards

    After a visit to Thomasville, Scoon uncovered Eliza Ann Grier’s story. For “Invisible History,” she had started to do research on Tallahassee’s slave graveyard in order to share that knowledge with her family and son. Soon, she was uncovering more stories about plantation culture and the 9,000 slaves that had lived in Leon County.

    “You don’t see many placards or markers detailing these stories,” says Scoon. “That’s when I realized this could be an interesting documentary because it would inform people of things that I didn’t know, and maybe they didn’t know either.”

    Scoon enjoys the synergy of filmmaking and was energized by the partners she had in creating this documentary including co-producer Theresa Marsenburg, director of photography Mark Vargo, editor Sheree Chen and animation by Jessica Kirby. She is also grateful to have the support of the community, especially the Grove Museum, Goodwood Museum & Gardens, FAMU’s Meek Eaton Black Archives, the Tallahassee Museum and the John G. Riley Center & Museum.

    “It can be inspiring to look to history and see how people have navigated challenges and triumphed, and when you examine their lives from this point of view, you’re wildly impressed by the fortitude and the tenaciousness of their goals,” says Scoon.

    “I see ‘Invisible History’ as honoring the enslaved who lived and died here and making sure they’re not forgotten. We try not to forget the people who died fighting for our freedom. It’s important to not forget the enslaved who worked and suffered here.”

    Amanda Sieradzki is the feature writer for the Council on Culture & Arts. COCA is the capital area’s umbrella agency for arts and culture (www.tallahasseearts.org).


    History of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU)

    Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University was founded as the State Normal College for Colored Students, and on October 3, 1887, it began classes with fifteen students and two instructors. Today, FAMU, as it has become affectionately known, is the premiere school among historically black colleges and universities. Prominently located on the highest hill in Florida&rsquos capital city of Tallahassee, Florida A&M University remains the only historically black university in the eleven member State University System of Florida.

    In 1884, Thomas Van Renssaler Gibbs, a Duval County educator, was elected to the Florida legislature. Although his political career ended abruptly because of the resurgence of segregation, Representative Gibbs was successful in orchestrating the passage of House Bill 133, in 1884, which established a white normal school in Gainesville, FL, and a colored school in Jacksonville. The bill passed, creating both institutions however, the stated decided to relocate the colored school to Tallahassee.

    Thomas DeSaille Tucker [1887-1901], an attorney from Pensacola, was chosen to be the first president. Former State Representative Gibbs joined Mr. Tucker as the second faculty member. In 1891, the College received $7,500 under the Second Morrill Act for agricultural and mechanical arts education, and the State Normal College for Colored Students became Florida&rsquos land grant institution for colored people. The original College was housed in a single white-framed building and had three departments of study and recreation. At about this time, the College was relocated from its original site on Copeland Street to its present location, and its name was changed to the State Normal and Industrial College for Colored Students.

    In 1905, management of the College was transferred from the Board of Education to the Board of Control. This event was significant because it officially designated the College as an institution of higher education. The name was changed in 1909 to Florida Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes (FAMC). The following year, with an enrollment of 317 students, the college awarded its first degrees. In spite of a setback caused by a tragic fire that destroyed Duval Hall, the main building which housed the library, administrative offices, cafeteria and other college agencies, progress was made when a gift of $10,000 was presented to the College by Andrew Carnegie for the erection of a new library facility. This facility held the distinction of being the only Carnegie Library located on a black land-grant college campus. President Nathan B. Young [1901-1923] directed the growth of the College to a four-year degree-granting institution, despite limited resources, offering the Bachelor of Science degree in education, science, home economics, agriculture and mechanical arts.

    Under the administration of John Robert Edward Lee, Sr., [1924-1944], the College acquired much of the physical and academic image it has today. Buildings were erected more land was purchased more faculty were hired courses were upgraded, and accreditation was received from several state agencies. By 1944, FAMC had constructed 48 buildings, accumulated 396 acres of land, and had 812 students and 122 staff members. In 1949, under the guidance of William H. Gray, Jr. [1944-1949], expansion, along with reorganization, continued the College obtained an Army ROTC unit, and student enrollment grew to more than 2,000.

    Perhaps one of the greatest achievements came under the presidency of Dr. George W. Gore [1950-1968]. The Florida legislature elevated the College to university status, and in 1953, Florida A&M College became Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University. Obtaining university status meant restructuring existing programs and designing new academic offerings to meet the demands of producing quality students at the professional and graduate levels. Between 1953 and 1968, the Schools of Pharmacy, Law, Graduate Studies, and Nursing were created.

    During the years 1950-1968, the University experienced its most rapid growth. Twenty-three buildings were constructed and renovated with costs totaling more than $14 million. These facilities included the Dairy Barn, Faculty Duplexes, Law Wing of Coleman Library, Gibbs Hall, Tucker Hall, Truth Hall, Agriculture and Home Economics Building [Perry Paige], Student Union Building, Demonstration School Building, Cafeteria, Health and Physical Education Building, Music and Fine Arts Complex, High School Gymnasium, Stadium, and Health and Physical Education Building. The FAMU Hospital was completed and became fully operational in 1956, serving as the only medical facility for Negroes within 150 miles of Tallahassee. FAMU achieved a significant first by becoming the first Negro institution to become a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Enrollment grew to more than 3,500, and the number of faculty increased by more than 500.

    The 50&rsquos and 60&rsquos were times of social unrest and change in the nation. The students of Florida A&M University were integral in sparking a boycott of the buses in Tallahassee that successfully staged integrated the city&rsquos public transportation. As a result of their courage and determination, the students of Florida A&M University established a legacy of social involvement and responsibility as a part of the collegiate experience for future generations of Rattlers.

    The period following the turbulent 60&rsquos brought unprecedented growth to the University. At a time when federal laws were demanding desegregation, Dr. Benjamin L. Perry, Jr. [1968-1977] was credited with preserving the autonomy of Florida A&M. In 1971, FAMU was recognized as a full partner in the nine-university, public higher education system of Florida. The program and academic areas within the institution were extended to include the Black Archives Research Center and Museum, established as a state repository for Black History and Culture the Division of Sponsored Research the Program in Medical Sciences (PIMS), in conjunction with Florida State University and the University of Florida the development of the School of Architecture a Naval ROTC unit establishment of the cooperative programs in agriculture and a degree-granting program in Afro-American Studies. Enrollment increased from 3,944 (1960) to 5,024 (1970).

    The University was re-organized into academic areas instead of departments. The University&rsquos physical plants increased with the addition of the Women&rsquos Complex (apartment-type dormitory), Clifton Dyson Pharmacy Building, new poultry building and dairy cattle resting shed, and renovation of University Commons, Coleman Library and Tucker Hall. The University Hospital, which was closed in 1971, was renovated and became the Foote-Hilyer Administration Center.

    During the administration of Dr. Walter L. Smith [1977-1985], the University grew to eleven schools and colleges and a Division of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education. In 1984, the University was granted the authority to offer its first Doctor of Philosophy degree, the Ph.D. in Pharmacology. The 80&rsquos also saw the expansion of the Gaither Athletic Center, which included the construction of a new Women&rsquos Athletic Complex equipped with a track, an Olympic pool, men&rsquos and women&rsquos weight training rooms, and softball and baseball fields. Bragg Memorial Stadium was renovated and expanded to provide seating for 25,000 spectators, and a modern field house was erected. The old laundry was converted into the Industrial Education Classroom Laboratory. New facilities were constructed to house the Schools of Allied Health Sciences, Architecture, Business and Industry and Nursing. Construction and renovation projects amounted to more than $34 million. As the University prepared to observe one hundred years of its existence, the Smith administration launched the Centennial Celebration Fund to establish a University Endowment.

    The 80&rsquos also birthed a unique partnership of Florida A&M University with neighboring Florida State University. Florida A&M University had a growing Engineering Technology Program in the late 70&rsquos and Florida State University wanted to re-establish its School of Engineering Science. Under the strong leadership from both universities, the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering was formed via an act of the Florida Legislature in 1982.

    This success of the partnership of pairing the top HBCU in the nation with a top-tiered research activity university has resulted in impacting engineering diversity in a way that no other top research university could equal. Currently, the college has more than 2,300 undergraduate and graduate students and offers bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees in the major engineering disciplines. In 2018, twenty percent of these students were African-American, 20 percent were Hispanic and 26 percent were female. This is a unique combination not found elsewhere at ranked engineering schools in the U.S.

    In 1985, Dr. Frederick S. Humphries [1985-2001] became the eighth president of Florida A&M University. The Humphries Years were heralded as a time of unprecedented expansion and achievement. President Humphries presided over the University&rsquos Centennial Celebration that began with his inauguration and ended with the burying of a time capsule. During Humphries&rsquo tenure, enrollment soared from 5,100 [1985] to 9,551 [1992]. And by the 1998-1999 school year, enrollment had reached 12,000 students. Aggressive and competitive recruitment campaigns attracted more talented students, and FAMU consistently ranked nationally among the top five colleges and universities for enrolling National Achievement finalists. In 1992, 1995 and 1997, FAMU enrolled more National Achievement finalists than Harvard, Yale and Stanford. In 1999, Black Issues in Higher Education cited FAMU for awarding more baccalaureate degrees to African-Americans than any other institution in this nation.

    During the 110th Anniversary Celebration, Florida A&M University was selected by the TIME Magazine-Princeton Review as The 1997-1998 College of the Year. FAMU was selected from among some of the most prestigious schools in the country to be the first recipient of this honor.

    In 2002, as the State of Florida&rsquos education system underwent massive reorganization, Dr. Henry L. Lewis, III, Dean of the College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences was appointed interim president. Later the same year, on May 17, 2002, the Board of Trustees of Florida A&M University appointed Dr. Fred Gainous [2002-2004], an alumnus, as the ninth president. Dr. Gainous returned to Tallahassee with a vision of creating One FAMU.

    On December 14, 2004, the Florida A&M University Board of Trustees made history by appointing Dr. Castell Vaughn Bryant as interim president. Dr. Bryant, an alumna, was the first woman to lead the University in its 117 years of existence. President Bryant came with the mission of revitalizing and restructuring the University for the twenty-first century.

    Originally designed to meet the needs of the underrepresented and the underprivileged, Florida A&M University continues to serve the citizens of Florida and the world through its provision of pre-eminent educational programs. These programs are the building blocks of a legacy for the hallmark of Florida A&M University: &ldquoExcellence with Caring.&rdquo FAMU, Florida&rsquos Opportunity University, is committed to meeting the challenges and need of future generations.

    On July 2, 2007, Dr. James H. Ammons, became the tenth president of Florida A&M University. Prior to his appointment, he served as Chancellor of North Carolina Central University (NCCU) from 2001 through 2006 and as provost and vice president for Academic Affairs at FAMU.

    While provost at Florida A&M University, he developed more than 22 bachelor&rsquos, master&rsquos and Ph.D. degree programs, and he worked to reestablish the FAMU College of Law. At NCCU, enrollment reached an all-time high during his tenure, climbing from 5,476 in 2000-2001 to 8,675 in 2006-2007 &ndash a 58.4 percent increase. NCCU became the fastest growing institution in the University of North Carolina System.

    When Dr. Ammons arrived at the university, he built a top-notch, strong leadership team. In addition, he secured accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education in which the board voted to reaffirm the College&rsquos accreditation status through June 30, 2010. Under his leadership, FAMU also received its first unqualified audit in three years from the Auditor General&rsquos Office and the university enrolled students for the first time in a new doctorate program in physical therapy.

    In July 2012, Dr. Larry Robinson was appointed interim president by the FAMU Board of Trustees. During his nearly two-year tenure he spearheaded the development of the University's enhanced anti-hazing procedures and helped the University improve its administrative guidelines and procedures, which led to FAMU's clean financial audit for the 2012--2013 fiscal year.

    On April 1, 2014, Dr. Elmira Mangum became the 11th president of Florida A&M University and the first permanent female president in the institution's 126-year history. In this capacity, she was responsible for the operations of the University, which includes approximately 10,000 students and 700 faculty.

    Under President Mangum&rsquos direction, the University achieved many milestones including launching the Sustainability Institute creating a free student passport program establishing a debt reduction grant for graduating students launching the High Achievers Scholarship Program bolstering five living-learning communities obtaining the largest individual gift in University history ($5 million from Microsoft Chair John W. Thompson and his wife, Sandi) becoming the first HBCU ensemble to play at the prestigious Carnegie Hall and completing the transfer of 3,800 acres of land in Brooksville, one of the largest land transfers in the history of the USDA to a land-grant HBCU.

    In September 2016, the FAMU Board of Trustees called upon Larry Robinson, Ph.D., to return as interim president of the University. Under Dr. Robinson's leadership, FAMU continues to thrive and has implemented new recruitment and retention strategies, strengthened the University's academic programs, introduced a new Division of Strategic Planning, Analysis and Institutional Effectiveness and ushered in several new multimillion-dollar grants and partnerships with organizations such as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NASA and the National Science Foundation. With a focus on student success, Dr. Robinson has also presented the University's new strategic plan, titled "FAMU Rising," which focuses on FAMU raising the bar toward preeminent performance in academics, research, engagement and fundraising.

    For 130 years, Florida A&M University has served the citizens of the State of Florida and the world through its preeminent educational programs that are the building blocks for a legacy of academic excellence with caring. FAMU, "Florida's Opportunity University," is committed to meeting the challenges and needs of future generations.


    A Brief History of Frenchtown

    With Frenchtown development becoming one of the spotlight issues in the city of Tallahassee’s future economic redevelopment plans, a look at the social and economic context for this marginalized area of the city might be useful.

    On July 4 th 1825, the federal government granted $200,000 worth of northern Florida territory to Marquis De Lafayette, a wealthy French military officer and veteran of the American revolutionary war. He decided to establish a town in which slavery was outlawed. This attracted many French and and free black settlers to the area, which was named Frenchtown. Some dispute exists over whether the name comes from its French residents or from the black population’s connections to the abolitionist town of Frenchtown, New Jersey, which served as a temporary haven for free black persons prior to the U.S. Civil War.

    From the 1920’s into the early 1970’s, despite sustained segregation and economic oppression under Jim Crow, Frenchtown went through a period of considerable economic growth. In 1929, Lincoln High School completed its fourth reconstruction , cementing the school as a foundation of employment and education for the neighborhood. Frenchtown was made up of mostly high school and college-educated black professionals. The community grew to be a self-sustaining and thriving economy with local grocery stores, drug stores, and other small businesses.

    The national civil rights movements of the time inspired community members and leaders in Tallahassee to partake in political activism. Organizations such as the NAACP, the Urban League, and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference began to spring up in the area. This activism was accompanied by the increasing mobilization of local churches. With the help of these organizations, Tallahassee saw several successful civil rights protests throughout the ’50s and ’60s.

    The end of segregation in Tallahassee, as in other cities across the nation, led to unintended consequences for some minority neighborhoods, including Frenchtown. Unfortunately, at the end of Jim Crow-era policies of segregation, removal of the neighborhood’s institutions such as local hospitals and schools in favor of shifting funding to resources outside the neighborhood halted and eventually reversed Frenchtown’s growth.

    In an interview for this article, Patrick Mason, FSU economics professor, lays out an economic picture of the devolution of Frenchtown:

    “Frenchtown used to be a [primarily] middle income neighborhood … But the neighborhood experienced a period of wage stagnation and economic decline from about 74’ to 95’. Local businesses found it hard to compete with national chains in the grocery and the fast-food industries.”

    Desegregation of schools led to the closure of Lincoln High-School in 1970 and its subsequent relocation to the southeast area of the city in 1975. Mason remarks, “That was major. That’s removing a key institution from a community.” Many residents left to be closer to the schools where their children were enrolled or where they worked.

    This period of economic stagnation led to a migration of black residents away from Tallahassee. According to US Census data, in 1930 the population of Leon County was 65 percent black while today the number stands at a mere 35 percent.

    Local businesses fostered economic growth, prosperity, and a sense of community among citizens during the height of Frenchtown’s history. While revitalization is no easy feat, city planners must be cognizant of the community’s vibrant history and the factors that facilitated its growth in order to create a new path forward.


    Upcoming Events

    In addition to everyday fun, these events include concerts, exhibitions, performances, classes & workshops.

    July 18, 2021 1pm-3pm Member $18/ Nonmember $20 She is at it.

    Sold Out – Check out next month HERE July 24, 2021 8pm-9:30pm.

    August 15, 2021 1pm-3pm $18 member/ $20 nonmember Master Gardener and Living.

    August 21, 2021 8:00pm-9:30pm $13 nonmembers/$10 members We invite you to enter.

    September 18, 2021 7pm-8:30pm $13 nonmembers/$10 members We invite you to enter.


    History of Our Society

    The Tallahassee Historical Society was organized on January 11, 1933, by W. T. Cash (State Librarian), Edward B. Eppes and Robert S. Cotterill. It was originally named the Capital Historical Society. The Society promoted preservation of historic buildings, educated the public about Tallahassee’s history, published a historical journal, “Apalachee,” and co-sponsored and provided judges for the Leon County History Fair. It collected all history pertaining to Florida including fossils, geological specimens, books, photographs and anything in any manner illustrative of Florida and of Tallahassee. Its activities included monthly meetings from September through May, field trips to historic sites and an annual picnic in May. Its membership was open to all.

    The Membership Committee and the Board of Directors (three members) chose new members. The officers were the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and three members of the Society made up the Program Committee.

    There were no regular dues but $1.00 a year was assessed each member to meet financial needs of the Society. Other organizations also supported the group. Patrons and sustaining members paid $100.

    The first meeting on January 25, 1933, was a reading of a paper on Historic Buildings. Mr. Cash was the first Chairman. The meeting was in the State Library. In February, the topic was the Wacissa Volcano. In October they met in the Railroad Commissioners Office of the Supreme Court Building. Mr. Guyte McCord was president. The program was about Leon County in the Civil War. Daisy Parker was the Secretary. In those early years the organization was asked by the Tourist Bureau to help prepare a tourist guidebook.

    In February of 1934, the talk was on the manufacture of cotton during the War.

    On October 14, 1936, the Society met in the dining room of the Floridan Hotel. It had a roll call of 21 members with 13 visitors. In December, the topic was Old Houses of Tallahassee.

    In March of 1955, the program was on Spanish Missions in Florida and was presented by Van G. Peterson. The meeting place was at the Florida State Library, in the west wing of the Supreme Court Building (through the courtesy of Dorothy Dodd, Librarian).

    Other topics over the years have included:

    • The Tallahassee Railroad and the town of St. Marks
    • Tallahassee in the 1880s
    • Neamathla, 1st Chief of the Seminoles
    • The Battle of Natural Bridge
    • The Apalachicola Arsenal
    • History of Photography with Special Reference to Tallahassee
    • Indian Springs:
    • The Early Story of a Pioneer Church in Leon County
    • Planters of the South
    • Salt Making on the Appalachee Bay
    • Steamboats and Spanish Missions in Florida.

    Our archives are in the State Archives, Department of State, in the R. A. Gray Bldg.

    First permanent Capitol. Begun January 1826. Demolished, ca. 1839. Lithograph copied from Vues et souvenirs de l’Amerique du Nord


    Seminoles gain more independence

    In the late 1950s, a push among Indian tribes to organize themselves and draft their own charter began -- this came as a result of federal legislation which allowed Indian reservations to act as entities separate from the state governments in which they were located. After surviving the first half of the 20th century through agriculture and by selling crafts, individuals saw that organizing as a constitutional form of government would be a positive step. The Seminole tribe improved their independence by adopting a constitutional form of government. This allowed them to act more independently. So on July 21, 1957, tribal members voted in favor of a Seminole Constitution which established the federally recognized Seminole Tribe of Florida.

    In 1970, the Indian Claims Commission award the Seminole (of both Oklahoma and Florida, collectively) $12,347,500 for the land taken from them by the U.S. military.

    Thanks to Allen Morris' Florida Handbook and the Seminole Tribe of Florida. For More Information on Native People in Florida, Check Out: The official web page of the Seminole Tribe


    Videoya baxın: MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA WORST HOODS (BiləR 2022).