Tarix Podkastları

Sangamon I - Tarix

Sangamon I - Tarix



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Sangamon I.

(Pts. Dp. 1.875, 1. 200 ', b.46', df. 12'6 "dr. 10'6"
s. 7 k. (des.); cpl. 75; a. 1 15 "D. sb, 1; 1" D. sb., Cl. Passaik)

John Ericsson tərəfindən qurulan Passaic sinifli ilk Sangamon monitörü 1862-ci ilin yazında Conestoga adı altında qoyuldu; 9 sentyabr 1862 -ci ildə Sangamon adlandırıldı; 27 oktyabr 1862 -ci ildə başlamış və 9 Fevral 1863 -cü ildə Chester, Pa Comdr'da istifadəyə verilmişdir. Komanda Pierce Crosby.

Monitor, Şimali Atlantik Blokajı Eskadronuna təyin edildi və tezliklə Hampton Yollarında və Virjiniya suyunu axıdan və Chesapeake Körfəzinə axan təxminən paralel çaylarda səmərəli, lakin qeyri -adi əməliyyatlara başladı. Sangamon, Vaşinqtonu və Richmondu ayıran şiddətli mübahisəli quruya girən suların Birlik Ordusunun nəzarətini təmin edən Donanmanın ən vacib gəmilərindən biri idi.

21 Fevral 1864 -cü ildə Philadelphia'daki təmirdən sonra Wachusetts tərəfindən Port Atlantikaya, Cənubi Atlantik Blokadası eskadralı vəzifəsinə gətirildi, Charleston'daki blokadadan sonra, Grant'ın Richmond'daki sürücüsünü dəstəkləmək üçün yayda Hampton Yollarına qayıtdı.

Sangamon çox müxtəlif vəzifələr yerinə yetirirdi. Məlumat əldə etmək üçün çayın kənarında kəşfiyyat ekspedisiyaları apardı və tez -tez sahillərdə gizlənmiş Cənub qüvvələrini duelə tutdu. Birlik qoşunlarının konsentrasiyasını qorudu və Konfederasiya flotiliyasının Birlik nəqliyyatını təhdid etməməsi üçün yuxarı Ceymsdə keşik çəkən Birlik dəniz qüvvələrinin bir hissəsi olaraq xidmət etdi.

1865 -ci ilin aprel ayının əvvəllərində, Richmond -da son vuruş zamanı, Birliyin gəmilərinin Konfederasiya paytaxtına təhlükəsiz şəkildə davam etməsi üçün Konfederasiya torpedalarından təmizlənməsinə kömək etdi.

Müharibə bitdikdən sonra, Sangamon Philadelphia'da xidmətdən ayrıldı və ehtiyata yerləşdirildi. 13 May 1898-ci ildə İspan-Amerika Müharibəsi dövründə xidmət üçün yenidən xidmətə göndərilənə qədər sonrakı aktiv xidmətlər haqqında heç bir qeyd tapılmadı. Köhnə monitor, Long Islanddakı Fisher's Island -da yerləşirdi. 1899 -cu ildə Pa Island Liqasına rezervasiya etmək üçün qayıtdı və 1905 -ci ildə satılana qədər orada qaldı.


Amerika İrsi Saatları

$ 289.00 Normal qiymət $349.00

$ 289.00 Normal qiymət $349.00

$ 299.00 Normal qiymət $349.00

$ 299.00 Normal qiymət $349.00

$ 329.00 Normal qiymət $349.00

Lincoln Çay Kolleksiyası

1831 -ci ildə Young Abe -nin Sangamon çayı üzərindəki sərgüzəştlərindən ilhamlanan avtomatik saat

$ 379.00 Normal qiymət $429.00

$ 389.00 Normal qiymət $429.00

$ 389.00 Normal qiymət $429.00

Linkoln çayı - Qızıl Gümüş

$ 379.00 Normal qiymət $429.00

Linkoln çayı - Qəhvəyi qızıl

$ 379.00 Normal qiymət $429.00

Clara Harlowe Barton Kolleksiyası

Amerikanın ən böyük humanitarlarından birini şərəfləndirən kvars saatı

Clara Harlowe Barton - Mavi

$ 179.00 Normal qiymət $189.00

Clara Harlowe Barton - Qızılgül

Clara Harlowe Barton - Somon

$ 179.00 Normal qiymət $189.00

Clara Harlowe Barton - Qara

$ 169.00 Normal qiymət $189.00

Clara Harlowe Barton - Qızıl

$ 169.00 Normal qiymət $189.00

Omaha Beach Kolleksiyası

İkinci Dünya Müharibəsi əsnasında azadlıq uğrunda döyüşən cəsur əsgərlərdən ilham alan bir kvars saatı

$ 189.00 Normal qiymət $229.00

$ 189.00 Normal qiymət $229.00

$ 199.00 Normal qiymət $229.00

$ 199.00 Normal qiymət $229.00

$ 199.00 Normal qiymət $229.00

$ 199.00 Normal qiymət $229.00

$ 199.00 Normal qiymət $229.00

$ 199.00 Normal qiymət $229.00


Şifahi Tarix Kolleksiyası

Sangamon Dövlət Universitetinin Ağız Tarixi Bürosu 1971-ci ildə Cullom Davisin rəhbərliyi altında açıldı və 1991-ci ilin yayında bağlandı. Davisin şifahi tarix dərslərində oxuyan tələbələr, bir çox könüllülər kimi bir çox xatirələr topladılar, lakin qrantla maliyyələşdirilən işçilər də yaratdılar. bir neçə xatirə silsiləsi, xüsusən də kömür mədənçilərinin və İllinoys siyasi xadimlərinin müsahibələri. ABŞ -ın bir çox bölgəsi və bir çox başqa millət kolleksiyada təmsil olunsa da, dastançıların çoxunun həyatı Springfield və İllinoysun mərkəzindədir. John Knoepfle'in "Çay Bantları" və Kolumbiya Universitetinin Adlai Stevenson Layihəsi və Amerika Arası İşlər İnstitutu seriyası kimi fərdlərdən və qurumlardan maddi yardımlar, kolleksiyanı əhəmiyyətli dərəcədə zənginləşdirdi.

Ofis kolleksiyasını təşkil edən kasetlərin, xatirələrin və girov sənədlərinin əksəriyyəti 1990-91-ci illərdə UIS Arxivinə təhvil verilmişdir. Arxivə çatanda kolleksiya 2960 saatlıq audio lentlə bağlı 1135 müsahibədən və yazılmış 97.165 səhifədən ibarət idi. İyirmi il ərzində, ofis, Springfield və ətrafındakı Afrikalı-Amerikalı, İtalyan-Amerikalı, Yəhudi və digər etnik icmaların üzvləri olan kömür mədənçiləri və ətrafındakı təsirli insanların xatirələrini topladı. İkinci Dünya Müharibəsi vicdanlı etirazçılar və müharibə əsirləri, Springfield kilsə və klublarının müəllimləri, kənd bir otaqlı məktəblərdə müəllimlər və bir çoxları. Kolleksiya İllinoysda və 19 -cu əsrin sonlarından bu günə qədər həyatın həyati bir qeydidir və təcrübələri başqa cür qeyd olunmayacaq bir çox insanın xatirələrini qoruyur.


Sangamon I - Tarix

BİZİ HARADA VƏ NECƏ BULMALI

Sangamon İlçe Tarix Cəmiyyətinin fiziki bir ofisi yoxdur (bir poçt qutusunu bir ofis hesab etməsəniz, amma çox dar olardı). Bir neçə il əvvəl edilən qısa bir təcrübə istisna olmaqla, müasir texnologiya sayəsində iş masası, paltar rafı və sənəd dolabları saxlamaq üçün bir yerə ehtiyacımız yox idi. Əsas ünsiyyət vasitəmiz olaraq poçt, internet və cib telefonundan istifadə edirik.

Önəmli tarixi sənədləri və nəşrlərimizi 1970 -ci illərdə yaratmağa kömək etdiyimiz və dəstək verməyə davam etdiyimiz, Springfield şəhərinin Linkoln Kitabxanası, 326 Yeddinci Caddesi, Sangamon Vadisi Kolleksiyasında tapa bilərsiniz. Kitabxana binasının əhəmiyyətli bir hissəsini tutur və Sangamon County və insanları haqqında bir məlumat mədənidir.

Xüsusi mövzular haqqında məlumat axtarırsınızsa, Sangamon County tarixinin on-line və axtarış edilə bilən ensiklopediyasına baxdığınızdan əmin olun. SangamonLink.org, daim yenilənir və genişlənir. Gedərək aylıq bülletenimizin cari və arxivləşdirilmiş nüsxələrini də görə bilərsiniz TARİXİ.


POSTA ÜÇÜN BİZƏ NECƏ ULAŞACAQ:
Salyangoz poçt ünvanımız:
Sangamon County Tarix Cəmiyyəti
Qutu 9744
Springfield, IL 62791-9744

E-poçt ünvanımız belədir:
[email protected]
Cəmiyyətin bütün e-poçt yazışmaları,
zabitləri və komitə sədrləri həmin ünvana göndərilə bilər.

..VƏ TELEFONLA:
Telefon nömrəmizdir
217-525-1961

BİZİM ÜZRƏ HOŞ GELDİNİZ TOPLANTILAR

Qeyd edək ki, COVID19 səbəbiylə yaxın gələcəkdə şəxsən görüşlərimiz yoxdur.

Cəmiyyət, hər ayın üçüncü çərşənbə axşamı, sentyabrdan iyuna qədər müntəzəm olaraq proqram iclasları keçirir. Dekabrda (adətən bir bayram partiyası üçün toplandıqda) və iyul ayında proqramlarda fasilə yaranır və avqust. Əksər görüşlər ictimaiyyətə pulsuz və açıqdır və saat 17.30 -dan başlayaraq keçirilir. Springfield şəhərinin Linkoln Kitabxanasında, Carnegie Otaq Şimalında, 326 S. Seventh Street, Springfield. Saat 17: 00 -dan sonra pulsuz yeraltı dayanacaq mövcuddur. ya da küçədə park edə bilərsiniz. Cəmiyyət eyni zamanda bölgənin tarixi yerləri üzrə xüsusi turlar təklif edir. Bəzi hallarda, bu, saytın idarə edə biləcəyi ziyarətçilərin sayını məhdudlaşdıra bilər və on-line və ya telefonla əvvəlcədən qeydiyyatdan keçməyi tələb edən, Yalnız Üzvlər üçün bir hadisə olaraq təqdim etməyimizi tələb edə bilər. Bayram Partiyası, Trivia Gecəsi və İllik Yeməyimiz kimi xüsusi tədbirlər bir ödəniş tələb edir.


ƏLAQƏ HAVA SİYASƏTİ

Hava şəraiti bunu tələb edərsə, Cəmiyyət bir toplantını və ya xüsusi bir tədbiri ləğv edə bilər. Və bu baş verərsə, bu barədə elan saat 15: 00 -a qədər yerləşdiriləcək. görüş/hadisə gününün müxtəlif yollarla. Bildirişlər əvvəlcə ana veb saytımızda, sangamonhistory.org və telefonumuzda 217-525-1961 saat 15: 00-a qədər yerləşdiriləcək. görüş və ya hadisə günü. Bu, planlarınızı dəyişdirmək üçün sizə kifayət qədər vaxt verməlidir. Mümkün olduğu təqdirdə, hər hansı bir ləğv bildirişini media saytlarında yerləşdirəcəyik və onların yerli radio və televiziya vasitələri ilə yayımlanmasını istəyəcəyik.

CƏMİYYƏT KURULU ilə tanış olun

Cəmiyyət beş məmurdan (prezident, vitse -prezident, katib, xəzinədar və yaxın keçmiş başçı) və on beş direktordan ibarət İdarə Heyəti tərəfindən idarə olunur.
Zabitlər hər il seçilir. Direktorlar üç il müddətinə seçilir və hər il üçdə biri seçilir. Seçkilər iyun ayında Cəmiyyətin illik toplantısında keçirilir. Maliyyə ilimiz 1 iyundan 31 maya qədər davam edir.


2020-2021 MƏMURLARI
Prezident… Stephanie Martin
Vitse-prezident ... Susan Helm
Katib . Elaine Hoff
Xəzinədar. Jerry Smith
Dərhal keçmiş prezident. Vicky Whitaker

İDARƏ HEYƏTİ
Direktor, müddəti 2023 -cü ildə bitir
Sarah Adams
Vincent Chappelle
Pete Harbison
Mary Mucciante |
Ruth Slottag

Direktor, müddəti 2022 -ci ildə bitir
Jennie Döyüşləri,
Kathy Dehen,
Məryəm Şefer
Larry Stone,
Angie Weiss

Direktor, müddəti 2021 -ci ildə bitir
Mary Alice Davis
Kathy Hoffmann
Sue Massie
Doug Polite
Cinda Klickna


Sangamon I - Tarix

"İnsanları və yerdəki ləkələri təyin edən və onları yaddaş üçün seçən dahi əlini Sangamon çayına qoydu. . . . ” Edgar Lee Masters, Sangamon

Masters ’ kitabı, 1940 -cı illərdə nəşr olunan Amerika Çayları seriyasının bir hissəsidir (Prairie State Books nəşri, U. of I Press, 1988). Magistrlər, demək olar ki, yalnız rəngarəng tarix və Lincoln Lore ilə dolu gənclik evi olan Menard County -dən Illinois çayına qədər Springfield -dən İllinoys çayına qədər olan çayın aşağı hissəsindədir. Magistrlər oxucularına çay tarixi haqqında daha geniş fikirlər verirlər.

[Fransız Cizviti Pierre] Charlevoix "Sangamon'u Sa-qui-mont adlandırdı. Hind sözü, ehtimal ki, 'auki', 'torpaq' və 'min' yaxşı olan 'Sau-kie-min' idi. Başqa bir törəmənin "Saukie" dən, Hindistanlı bir triabenin adı və "ong" sözündən, başqa sözlə, Saukların çayı olduğu mənasına gəlir. Başqa bir törəmə, 'sa-gie', göl deməkdir və 'mong', bir loon deməkdir. (8-9)

İşinin sonuna yaxın Masters çayın bu poetik vinyetini təqdim edir: “Sangamon çayı! Gəmiçiliyi olmayan, kommersiya fəaliyyəti ilə fərqlənməyən, möhtəşəm mənzərəsi, döyüşü və ya tək bir tarixi hadisə ilə fərqlənməyən, sahillərində yaxşı və faydalı həyatdan başqa heç nə ilə fərqlənməyən və yatan çəmənliklərinin gözəlliyi çiçək açıb otlarını keçən küləklərə dalğalandırın. " (235)

Veb saytımızın bu bölməsi, yerli tarixlərdən və hesablardan götürülmüş yuxarı Sangamonun təbii və mədəni tarixini araşdıracaq. Bəzi yerli irfan (və şəxsi təcrübə!) Magistrlərə çaylarda perspektivə ’ “ fərqin olmamasına meydan oxuya bilsə də, illərlə bəslədiyi yaxşı və faydalı ömrü bunun bir şəhadətidir. bu bölgədə davamlı təsir.

Üst Sangamon, xüsusən də Mahomet və Monticello arasında, yaşı 28,000 ilə 12,000 BP arasında dəyişən Michigan Gölü Buzlaq Lobası içərisində bir terminal moreninin üzü boyunca uzanır. Buzlaq Woodfordian Substage (orta Viskonsin Mərhələsi) zamanı, Michigan Gölünün Buzlu Lobası buzları sürətlə irəliləyərək, müasir Sangamon çayına paralel olaraq bir terminal moren buraxdı. [2] Buz, durğunlaşdı və bu morenanın arxasında əriyən su, terminal morenini aşmadı. Bu uzanma boyunca, Sangamon su hövzəsinin şərq hissəsi, morenanın üzünü boşaldan iki -üç mil (3-5 km) uzunluğunda olan qısa dərələrdən ibarətdir. Bu, terminal moreninin qarşısı boyunca əmələ gələn çaylara xas olan asimmetrik bir su hövzəsi meydana gətirir.

Çay, Avropalıların gəlişindən əvvəlki əsrlərdə bir çox fərqli yerli Amerikalı qrupa ev sahibliyi edirdi. Çayın adı, Pottawatomie sözündən Sain-guee-mon (tələffüz “sang gä mun ”) sözündən gəlir və “ yemək üçün bol yer var. ” 18-ci əsrdə Kickapoo qrupları sahil boyunca çay. 18 -ci əsrin ortalarında, çayın yaxınlığındakı bölgə, daha böyük Fransız və Iroquois Döyüşlərinin bir hissəsi olaraq Illini ilə Fox arasında bir qarşıdurma səhnəsi idi. Fransız tacirlər, İllinoys Ölkəsinin bir hissəsi olduğu dövrdə, 18 -ci əsrin ortalarında bölgədə fəal idilər (mənbə: Vikipediya).

Masters ’ çayının döyüşdə fərqlənmədiyi iddiasından fərqli olaraq, bir çox yerlərdə olduğu kimi, Hindistan müharibələri haqqında nağıllar var. Richard L. Morgan, in Cornsilk və Champaign County Chaff (Champaign İlçəsinin Sesquicentennial Komitəsi, 1969), belə izah edir: “Bir əfsanəyə görə, Potawatomi, Kangapo'ya Sangamonda ov haqqı üçün meydan oxudu. Döyüş sahəsi, Mahometin cənubundakı "Qanlı Döngə" adlanırdı. Bu yer 1845-54-cü illərin üzüm xəritələrində 'North Bend' olaraq görünür. (5)

Isabelle Purnellin məşhur əsəri, Mahometin qeyri -rəsmi tarixi, İllinoys (Mayhaven, 2000), bu çay vinyetini təqdim edir:

"Sangamonda heç vaxt böyük gəmilər olmurdu, ancaq çay və taxta [erkən köçənlərin] çəmənliklərdə və ərazilərdə olmayan bir müdafiə sahəsi təklif edirdi. . . kabinlərinin tikintisi və yanacaq üçün odun. Həm də mebellərini, yemək qablarını, çitləri və bir çox başqa şeyləri Sangamon ağacından hazırladılar. Sangamon boyunca çoxlu balıqçılıq, ovçuluq və heyvanların tələsi də var idi. Qışda çaydan buz kəsilərək yayda istifadə üçün saxlanılırdı. Çayın həm şərq tərəfində, həm də qərb tərəfində meyxanalar var idi. Çay həm də üzgüçülük və düşərgə üçün bir istirahət sahəsi olaraq xidmət etdi. . . . ” (16)

Mahomet bölgəsindəki çay boyunca ilk hadisələrin xronologiyası (yenə də Purnellin izni ilə) –

1832 Daniel Porter, Middletown adlı 38 lotdan ibarət bir şəhəri (yarıdan bəri Danville & Bloomington) əhatə etdi. Sahə Old Bloomington Rd adlanan bir cığır boyunca çayın o biri sahilində idi.

1836 İlçe Müvəkkilləri, Daniel Porterdən 5,00 dollarlıq bir taverna istiqrazı və William Osborndan 2,00 dollarlıq bir bərə haqqı topladı. Feribot qiymətləri kişilər üçün altı sent, inəklər, atlar üçün 25 qəpik və vaqonlar donuz və qoyunlar üçün üç qəpik olaraq təyin edildi.

1850 Çay, bahar daşqınlarında yuyulan və dəyişdirilməli olan ağacları olan bir dəyirman üçün bənd edilmişdi.

1851 Samuel Dean və David Carter indi bərəni aşağı qiymətlərlə idarə edirdi: kişilər, atlar üçün beş qəpik, öküzlər 15 qəpik atlar və vaqonlar donuz və qoyunlar üçün iki qəpik.


Sangamon I - Tarix

Clear Lake Township
4260 Köhnə Marşrut 36
Springfield, IL 62707

Telefon: (217) 523-4210
FAKS: (217) 523-4403
Bizə E -poçt göndərin

İş saatları
Bazar ertəsi-Cümə
8:00 - 14:00

Yardım
Randevu Saatları

Çərşənbə axşamı Cümə axşamı
8:00 - Günorta

Qiymətləndiricinin köməkçisi
Saat

Bazar ertəsi-Cümə
8:00 - 14:00
Mövcudluq üçün əvvəlcədən zəng edin

Clear Lake Township -in tarixi

Mənbə: & ldquoSunrise Clear Lake A Sesquicentennial Review 1 dekabr 1937 - 1 dekabr 1987 və James A. Woodruff tərəfindən rdquo

Springfield Township -dən dərhal şərqdə yerləşən Clear Lake qəsəbəsi, 16 N., R. 4 W. hökumət qəsəbəsi daxilində bütün ərazini (36 kvadrat mil) əhatə edir və adını 22 -ci hissədəki Clear Lake -dən alır. Sangamon çayı. İlçe təxminən çəmən və ağac arasında bölünmüşdür və Sangamon çayı çapraz olaraq cənub -şərqdən şimal -qərb küncünə doğru axdığı üçün səthi yuvarlanır və bəzi hallarda olduqca qırılır. Riverfield, Springfield xaricindəki mahal daxilində ən böyük kənd korporasiyası olduğu üçün, Capital Township'in yanında, mahalın hər hansı bir kənd qəsəbəsinin ən böyük əhalisi var.

Sangamon çayının içindən keçdiyi yolun artıq göstərdiyi kimi, qəsəbə yaxşı suvarılır. Şəkər dərəsi və cənubdan Sangamonun cənub çəngəli, qəsəbənin mərkəzi hissəsinin yaxınlığındakı Sangamonun Şimal Çəngəlinə (və ya əsas qoluna) daxil olur, ana axının digər kiçik qolları da var. Clear Lake, Sanqamonun şərqində və təxminən yarım mil uzunluğunda dar bir su təbəqəsidir və bu axınla paralel axır. Ziyarətçilərin kurort kimi yerləşməsi üçün binalar tikilmişdir və yay aylarında Springfield və ətrafından çoxsaylı piknik partiyalarının mərkəzidir. Şəhərətrafı bir avtomobil xətti ilə əldə edilir və son bir neçə il ərzində orada bir sıra uğurlu Chautauquas keçirildi.

İndi Clear Lake Township -də ilk məskunlaşan general William Henry Harrisonun əsgəri olan və 1820 -ci ildə gəlib Clear Lake sahillərində məskunlaşan Hugh McGary idi. Qardaşı Harrison McGary, təxminən eyni vaxtda gəldi, ancaq İndianaya qayıtdıqda qısa bir müddət qaldı. Samuel Danley, McGarys ilə eyni vaxtda gəldi və Hugh McGary'den bir mil aralıda yerləşdi.

Hələ daha sonra, lakin erkən dövrdə gələnlər bunlar idi: əvvəllər Tennessi ştatının Thomas J. Knox adlı Tomas A. King Benjamin Cherry -yə məxsus olan yeri tutan John Smith, gəlib King fermasına yerləşdi və County Treasurer olaraq xidmət etdi. və bir və ya iki müddətə Kolleksiyaçı və bir neçə ildir ki, Sülhün Ədaləti, nəhayət Springfield -də ölən Samuel McDaniels və Philip Smith & ldquodeep snow & rdquo dövründən əvvəl gəldi.

Archer G. Herndon, Culpeper County, VA., 13 fevral 1795 -ci il təvəllüdlü və Springfieldli mərhum William H. Herndon'un atası olan, Madison Countydən gələn Clear Lake Township -in erkən köçkünlərindən idi. , Ill., 1821 -ci ildə və Springfield -dən beş mil şimal -şərqdə Alman Çölündə məskunlaşdı. O, 1820-1836-cı illərdə Springfield-də görkəmli bir tacir idi, bu müddət ərzində Springfield-də ilk müntəzəm meyxana qurdu və iki müddət ərzində 1836-37-ci illərin iclası da daxil olmaqla Sangamon əyalət senatoru idi və "ldquoLong Nine & rdquo" dan əyalət paytaxtının Springfilddəki Vandaliyadan çıxarılmasında böyük rol oynadı. Güclü bir Cekson Demokratı, 1842-1849 -cu illərdə Springfilddəki Torpaq Bürosunda İctimai Pulların Alıcısı idi və 3 Yanvar 1867 -ci ildə Springfield -də həyat yoldaşı Rebekka Herndonla öldü, 19 Avqust 1875 -ci ilə qədər sağ qaldı.

Larkin Bryant, 2 Noyabr 1800, Woodford County, Ky., 2 noyabr 1800 -cü ildə, xanım Harriet Chapman ilə 1820 -ci ildə evləndi və təxminən bir il Missouri qurğuşun mədənlərində keçirdikdən sonra, 1821 -ci ilin payızında, Illinois ştatının Sangamon County şəhərinə gəldi. AG Herndon yaxınlığında.

John Shinkle, 1873 -cü ildə Pa, Berks County -də anadan olub, valideynləri ilə birlikdə Ohayo ştatının Brown County şəhərinə gəldi, orada Mary M. Shinkle ilə evləndi və 1826 -cı ildə Illinois Sangamon County -ə gəldi və Clear -da məskunlaşdı. Lake Township bölgəsi. Cənab Shinkle, Clear Lake'e gəldikdən bir il sonra öldü, ancaq dul arvadı, son doxsan yaşına qədər sağ qalaraq ailələrini ilk yerləşdikləri yerdə böyütdü.

John Hoover, Mr. Howell, Solomon Blue və Uriah Blue, 1824 və ya 1825 -ci illərdə Sangamon çayının cənub tərəfində məskunlaşdılar və Alman əsilli olduqları üçün həmin məhəlləyə Alman Prairie adını verdilər.

16 dekabr 1708 -ci ildə Paris yaxınlığında anadan olan və 1812 -ci il müharibəsində əsgər olaraq xidmət edən Valentine R. Mallory, 28 iyun 1821 -ci ildə Bracken County, Nancy Dawson ilə evləndi və 182 -ci ilin oktyabrında. , indi Clear Lake Township nə gəldi. Onlara, Fairfax County, Va., 1812 -ci il müharibəsində xidmət etmiş, yaralandıqda və bir kişmiş çayını ələ keçirən xanım Mallory və rsquos qardaşı John Dawson yoldaşlıq edirdi. Hindlilər tərəfindən Kanadada əsir olaraq saxlanıldıqdan sonra, fidyə ilə azadlığa buraxıldı və 1871-ci ildə Kyolinin Nicholas County Cary Jones ilə evləndi, 1827-ci ildə baldızı V.R. Mallory, Sangamon County. Cənab Dawson, 1831-ci ildə Qara Şahin üsyanında Sangamon County-dən olan bir şirkətin kapitanı idi və 1836-37-ci illər də daxil olmaqla Baş Assambleyanın beş iclasında bir nümayəndəsi idi. Sangamon County 1847 -ci il Əyalət Konstitusiya Konvensiyasına. Çay Üzüm Döyüşündə ciyərlərində aldığı top heç vaxt çıxarılmamış və ölümünün son səbəbi, 12 Noyabr 1850 -ci il olmuşdur.

Samuel Ridgeway, 10 May 1777 -ci il təvəllüdlü Berkeley County, Va., Şimali Karolinaya aparıldı və təxminən 1799 -cu ildə Elizabeth Caton ilə evləndi və Kentukkidə bir neçə il keçirdikdən sonra Sangamon County, Ill. 1847 -ci ildə öldüyü Clear Lake Township.

1777 -ci ildə Cənubi Karolinada doğulmuş, İnqilabçı bir əsgər oğlu olan valideynləri uşaqlıqda Fleming County, Ky. Ailənin valideynləri tərəfindən aparıldı və təxminən yeddi ilini Ohayo ştatının Greene County -də keçirdikdən sonra Sangamon County -ə gəldi. indi Clear Lake Township -də. 1777 -ci il təvəllüdlü, Şimali Karolinadan olan William Fagan, Peninah Fruit ilə evləndi, bir müddət Virciniyada, sonra 1819 -cu ildə Kentukkidə yaşadı, Cənubi İllinoysa gəldi və oradan da 1820 -ci ildə indiki Clear Lake Townshipə gəldi. Növbəti il ​​Buffalo Hart qəsəbəsinə köçdü, daha sonra Springfilddə yaşadı, lakin 1843 -cü ildə həmin şəhərin üç mil qərbindəki fermasında öldü.

James Frazier Reed, Polşa əsilli İrlandiya County Armagh şəhərində anadan olub, 14 Noyabr 1800, anası ilə gənclikdə Virciniyaya gəldi və iyirmi yaşında İllinoysdakı qurğuşun mədənlərində işləməyə getdi, burada 1831 -ci ilə qədər qaldı. 1832 -ci il Qara Şahin Müharibəsində xidmət etdi, sonra bir müddət ticarətlə məşğul oldu və sonra Jamestown, daha sonra Howlett və indi Riverton adlanan yerdə Sangamon çayı üzərində bir mebel fabriki qurdu. . 1846 -cı ildə cənab Reed və həyat yoldaşı San Jose Missiyasında yerləşən Kaliforniyaya getdilər, torpaq sahəsinə sərmayə qoydular və çox müvəffəqiyyətli oldular. Sahibkar və yüksək xarakterli bir adam idi.

Uriah Mann Clear Lake Township -in tarixi personajlarından biri idi. 17 sentyabr 1810 -cu ildə Bracken County, Ky. Şəhərində anadan olub, 1831 -ci ilin oktyabrında gələn Clear Lake yaxınlığında erkən məskunlaşan Thomas A. King'in həyat yoldaşı bacısı Anna ilə birlikdə Illinois Sangamon County -ə gəldi. Qara Şahin Müharibəsinin yaxın dostu Abraham Linkolnla eyni alayda bir əsgər idi. 6 Yanvar 1832 -ci ildə Elizabeth King ilə evləndi, öz müəssisəsi və sənayesi ilə bir ferma inkişaf etdirdi və Sangamon Countyin ən uğurlu fermerlərindən və fəxri vətəndaşlarından biri oldu.

Qəsəbədəki ilk ibadət evinin 1820 -ci ildə Baptistlər tərəfindən tikildiyi söylənir, baxmayaraq ki, Metodistlər hər zamanki kimi bu bölgədəki ən erkən müjdəçilər arasında idilər. Aaron Vandeverin ilk Baptist nazir olduğu söylənilir, Peter Cartwright, James Sims və Rivers Cormack erkən Metodist Gəzənlər idi.

Vətəndaş Müharibəsi dövründə Mərkəzi İllinoysun böyük bir hissəsinin hərbi mərkəzi olan Camp Butler və Vətəndaş Müharibəsi dövründə bir sıra alayların toplandığı yer, Qeydiyyat, Rivertondan təxminən bir mil cənubda Clear Lake Township -də yerləşirdi və Springfield -dən təxminən yeddi mil şimal -şərqdə, sonra Dövlət Xəzinədçisi William Butlerin şərəfinə adlandırıldı. Müharibənin xeyli hissəsi zamanı üsyançı məhbusların həbs olunduğu yer idi, təxminən 7,500, 1864 -cü ilin iyul ayında & LdquoCamp Douglas Conspiracy & rdquo zamanı orada idi və nəticədə Birlik qoşunlarının böyük bir qüvvəsinin saxlanılması lazım idi. orada mühafizə xidməti üçün.

Camp Butler Milli Qəbiristanlığı, köhnə Camp Butler yaxınlığında, Springfilddən təxminən altı mil şərqdə, Wabash Dəmiryolu və İllinoys (Şəhərlərarası) Dartma Sistemi xətlərində yerləşir. Qəbiristanlıq təxminən 6 hektarlıq ərazini əhatə edir və 1878 -ci ilin noyabr ayının baş rəisi olaraq vəzifəsini icra edən mayor George W. Fordun himayəsindədir. 729 Birlik və 866 Konfederasiya Əsgərinin qalıqları orada dəfn edilmişdir. Yaxşı saxlanılan çəmənliklər və sahələrin ümumi görünüşü, hər zaman müfəttişin vəzifələrini yerinə yetirərkən və qəbiristanlığın qorunmasında göstərdiyi səmərəli qayğının sübutudur.

Riverton Village & ndash Riverton, Clear Lake Township -in əsas kəndidir və eyni zamanda Sangamon County -də hər hansı bir kənddən daha çox əhaliyə malikdir. 1 dekabr 1837 -ci ildə qoyuldu və döşəndi, yeri daha sonra Bölmə 9, Township 16, Range 4 West rdquo hissəsinin şimal -şərq kvartalının cənub yarısı olaraq təsvir edildi. Plat, tarixi Clear Lake Township -in bu eskizinin əvvəlki hissəsində qeyd olunan James F. Reed -in şərəfinə Jamestown adı altında qeyd edildi. Kənd cənab P.L -nin gəlişinə qədər yavaş -yavaş böyüdü. Bir damıtma zavodu və bitişik bir dəyirman quran Howlett, Sangamon County -də ilk kömür mədənini açdı. Şəhər, su və buxar enerjisi təmin etmək üçün istifadə olunan Sangamon çayının şərq sahilindədir.

Əyalətdə başqa bir Jamestown olduğu üçün adı, əsas təşəbbüskarının adından sonra Howlett olaraq dəyişdirildi. Daha sonra bu ad Riverton olaraq dəyişdirildi və Jesse Sweatman ilk poçt müdiri oldu. Əhalinin böyük bir hissəsini mədənlərdə, damıtma zavodlarında və dəyirmanlarda çalışan işçilər təşkil edir, lakin əhali sürətlə inkişaf etdi və bir sıra yaxşı iş evləri var.

Kömürün kəşfi, 1865 -ci ildə Pennsylvania neft bölgəsindən bəzi mütəxəssisləri işə götürən, cəmi 6 fut qalınlığında bir kömür damarının qazılması nəticəsində darıxdırıcı neftin kəşf edilməsinə ümid bəsləyən cənab Howlett müəssisəsi vasitəsilə edildi. iki yüz fut dərinliyə çatdı və bu, Sangamon County -də bu qədər böyük nisbətdə inkişaf edən mədən sənayesinin başlanğıcını qeyd etdi.

1881 Woodruff Fayllarından Nüsxə

Clear Lake qəsəbəsi, on dörd şimaldan dörd qərbə qədər olan bütün qəsəbələri əhatə edir və iyirmi ikinci hissədə bu adla göldən adlandırılmışdır.

Bu qəsəbə demək olar ki, ağac və çəmənlik arasında bölünür və olduqca yuvarlanır. Torpağın keyfiyyəti yaxşıdır, qarğıdalı və buğdanın böyük bitkiləri yetişdirilir.

Clear Lake Township, canlı su axınları ilə yaxşı təmin edilir. Sangamon çayının şimal çəngəli otuz altıncı hissəyə daxil olur və cənub çəngəli otuz üçüncü hissəyə girir, ikisi iyirmi yeddinci bölmədə birləşərək şimala doğru axır, beşinci hissədən qəsəbədən çıxır, ancaq dörddə bir mil, qərbə doğru axır və altıncı hissədən Springfield qəsəbəsinə daxil olur. Şəkər Creek, otuz birinci hissədə qəsəbəyə girir və şimal-şərq istiqamətdə axır, iyirmi səkkizinci hissədə Sangamon çayı ilə birləşir. Clear Lake, təxminən yarım mil uzunluğunda və orta eni iki yüz yard olan gözəl bir su təbəqəsidir. Bu gölün sahilində hər yay bir çox piknik məclisi təşkil edilir və göl üzərində üzmək və avarçəkmə üçün qayıqlar verilir.

Clear Lake qəsəbəsi, Wabash və Springfield və Northwestern iki dəmir yolu ilə keçir. Birincisi, on doqquzuncu hissədə Springfield -dən girir, şimal -şərq istiqamətdə Riverton kəndindən keçərək on hissəyə qədər, şərqdən Mechanicsburg qəsəbəsinə girəndə keçir. Springfield'dan ikincisi on səkkizinci hissəyə girir və şimal -şərqdən qaçaraq ikinci hissədən Williams qəsəbəsinə girir.

İlçe ilk dəfə 1820 -ci ildə yerləşdi, Hugh McGary ilk məskunlaşdı. Dərhal Clear Lake sahilinə yerləşdi. Harrisonun nəzarəti altında olan yaşlı bir əsgər idi və yüksək hörmətli, yüksək düşüncəli bir şərəfli adam idi.

Hughun qardaşı Harrison McGary, eyni vaxtda gəldi və Tomas Kingin yaşadığı fermaya yerləşdi, narazı qaldı və gəldiyi yerdən İndianaya qayıtdı.

Samuel Danley təxminən eyni vaxtda gəldi və McGary'den bir mil aralıda yerləşdi. Kobud adam idi, amma ürəyi geniş idi və həmişə kasıblarla dost idi. Ölümündən bir neçə il əvvəl xristian oldu və peşəsinə qədər vicdanla yaşadı.

John Smith də çox erkən gəldi. Xeyli sərvətə sahib idi, amma bütün bunlarla məşğul oldu və Tomas Kinqə satıldı.

Benjamin Cherry Tennessidən gəldi. Yaxşı bir insan idi və nəticədə bir xristian olaraq öldü.

Thomas J. Knox gəlib J.F.Kinqə məxsus olan fermada məskunlaşdı. Bir və ya iki müddət İlçe Xəzinədar və Kolleksiyaçı idi, bir neçə il sülhün ədaləti. Springfield -də öldü.

Valentine R. Mallory, qeyd olunan digərləri ilə eyni vaxtda gəldi. 1812 -ci il müharibəsində xidmət etdi. Bir neçə il əvvəl öldü.

Samuel McDaniels, Philip Smith kimi dərin qarın qabağına gəldi.

John Wilcox, Chesapeake Körfəzinin şərq sahilində, Merilenddə anadan olub. Valideynləri olduqca gənc ikən öldü və məlum olmamaq üçün qaçdı, yelkənli bir gəmiyə mindi və Merilendə qayıdan Qərbi Hindistan adalarına getdi və on altı və ya on yeddi yaşında ikən birlikdə getdi. bir ailə Virciniyaya, oradan da Kentville ştatının Danville ətrafına. Kentukki ştatının Oldham əyalətində Lucinda Oglesby ilə evləndi. Virciniya ştatının Loudon əyalətində anadan olub və valideynləri daha sonra Kentukkinin Oldham mahalına çevrilən Shelby -nin bir hissəsinə köçüblər. Atası William Oglesby, İnqilabın əsgəri idi. John Wilcox, Davidson əyalətinə, Tennessi əyalətinə köçdü, sonra Logan əyalətinə köçdü, Kentucky 1823 -cü ildə öldü. 1818 -ci ildə ailə Illinois ştatının St Clair mahalına köçdü və oradan 1819 -cu ilin payızında gələn Sangamon mahalına köçdü. Sprinqfildin indi durduğu yerdən təxminən altı mil şərqdə və Şəkər dərəsinin ağızları ilə Sangamon çayının cənub çəngəli arasında yerləşdi.

Archer G. Herndon 13 fevral 1795 -ci ildə Virciniya ştatının Culpepper əyalətində anadan olub, təxminən on yaşında ikən Kentukki ştatının Greensburq şəhərində yaşıl qraflığa getdi və 1816 -cı ildə qız adı olan xanım Rebecca Johnson ilə evləndi. Gün idi. Atası İnqilabçı əsgər idi. Cənab və Xanım Herndon Kentukki şəhərində bir uşaq dünyaya gətirdilər və İllinoys ştatının Madison əyalətinin Troy şəhərinə köçdülər, oradan 1821 -ci ilin yazında Sangamon County, Illinoisə köçdülər və 5 mil şimal -şərqdə indiki Alman Çölündə məskunlaşdılar. Springfield.

Archer G. Herndon, Sr., 1825-1836 -cı illərdə Springfilddə ticarət işləri ilə məşğul idi və bu müddət ərzində şəhərdə ilk müntəzəm meyxana tikdirdi. Paytaxtın 1836 -cı ildə əyalət senatoru seçildikdən sonra Vandaliyadan Springfieldə çıxarılmasında böyük rol oynayan & ldquoLong Nine & rdquo biri idi. 1842-1843 -cü illərdə Springfield -də Torpaq Ofisində dövlət pulu alan adam idi. A.G. Herndon, Sr., 3 Yanvar 1867, Xanım Rebecca Herndon 19 Avqust 1875 -ci ildə öldü.

Larkin Bryant 2 noyabr 1800 -cü ildə Kentukki ştatının Woodford əyalətində anadan olub. 1820 -ci ildə, qız adı Thornberry olan xanım Harriet Chapman ilə evləndi. 1821 -ci ilin payızında Missouri qurğuşun mədənlərinə, oradan da Sangamon mahalına köçdülər və Springfildin şimal -şərqində beş mies məskunlaşdılar.

John Shinkle, 1733 -cü ilin fevralında, Berks əyalətində, Pensilvaniya ştatında anadan olub və uşaq ikən valideynləri Ohayo ştatının Brown əyalətinə köçüblər. Mary M. Shinkle 12 Noyabr 1784 -cü ildə Pensilvaniya ştatının Berks mahalında anadan olmuşdur. 1805 -ci ilin may ayında valideynləri Ohayo ştatının Brown əyalətinə köçdü. John Shinkle və Mary M. Shinkle 7 noyabr 1805 -ci ildə evləndilər. Brown əyalətində on yaşayan övladı var idi. Ailə, İllinoys ştatının Sangamon əyalətinə köçdü, 1826 -cı ilin dekabrına, indi Sangamon çayının şimalındakı Clear Lake qəsəbəsinə gəldi. John Shinkle, ölkəyə gəlişindən bir ildən az bir müddət sonra, 1827 -ci ilin avqustunda Sangamon mahalında öldü. His widow raised her family on the farm where they settled, and now resides there. It is three miles southwest of Dawson, Illinois. She is ninety-two years old, and has been a widow nearly half a century.

Valentine R. Mallory was born December 16, 1798, near Paris, Bourbon county, Kentucky. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was at the battle of river Thames. Nancy Dawson was born September 20, 1802, in Fairfax county, Virginia, and in 1804, was taken by her parents to Bracken county, Kentucky. V.R. Mallory and Nancy Dawson were there married, June 28, 1821. They had three children, and in March, 1827, united with the Baptist Church. They moved, in company with her brother, John Dawson, (see his name) to Sangamon county, Illinois, arriving October 22, 1827, in what is now Clear Lake township.

John Dawson was born November 24, 1791, in Fairfax county, Va. His parents moved to Bracken county, Kentucky, in 1803. He enlisted in Bracken county in the war against England in 1812, and was wounded and captured at the battle of River Raisin. After being held as a prisoner in Canada by the Indians who captured him, his friend paid a ransom for him, and he returned home. Cary Jones was born May 22, 1801, in Nicholas county, Kentucky. John Dawson and Cary Jones were married in Nicholas county, October 9, 1817. They moved to Bracken county, and then the family moved to Sangamon county, Illinois, October 24, 1827, north of the Sangamon river, in Clear Lake township. John Dawson died November 12, 1850, in Sangamon county. His widow resides on the farm where they settled in 1827. It is three miles southwest of Dawson. Mr. Dawson was Captain of company from Sangamon county in the Black Hawk war of 1881. He was elected to represent Sangamon county in the State Legislature of 1831, and &rsquo32. He was again elected in 1835, and continued by re-election, to represent the county until 1840, and was consequently one of the &ldquoLong Nile&rdquo who secured the removal of the State Capital to Springfield at the session of 1836-&lsquo7. Mr. D. was also a member of the convention that framed the State Constitution of 1848. The ball received in his lungs at the battle of River Raisin was never extracted, and was the cause of his death.

Samuel Ridgeway was born May 10, 1777, in Berkley county, Virginia, and was taken by his parents to the valley of the Yadkin river, North Carolina, when he was quite young. He was there married, about 1799, to Elizabeth Caton, who was born August 25, 1775, in Berkley county, Virginia, also. Shortly after marriage Samuel Ridgeway and wife packed all their worldly goods on one horse, and each rode another. Thus equipped, they set out for Kentucky, and settled near Stanford, the capital of Lincoln county. The family moved to Sangamon county, Illinois, arriving in November, 1829, in what is now Clear Lake township, west of the Sangamon river, and five miles northeast of Springfield. Died in 1847.

John Blue was born September 9, 1777, in South Carolina. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary army, and was taken prisoner by the British the very day of his birth. His parents moved to Fleming county, Kentucky, when he was quite young. Elizabeth McNary was born in South Carolina, and taken by her parents to Fleming, county, Kentucky, also. They were there married about 1806. About 1823 they moved to Green county, Ohio, then moved to Sangamon county, arriving in the fall of 1830, in what is now Clear Lake township.

William Fagan was born in 1777, in North Carolina, was married there to Peninah Fruit, who was born January 29, 1774, in the same State. They moved to Virginia, and from there to Christian county, Kentucky. In 1819, they emigrated, with four children, to southern Illinois, thence to Sangamon county, arriving in what is now Clear Lake township, in 1820. They moved next year to Buffalo Hart Grove, and from there to Springfield. In 1831 they settled on a farm three miles northwest of Springfield. He died in 1843.

Uriah Mann was born September 17, 1810, in Bracken county, Kentucky. He came to Sangamon county, with his sister Anna, and her husband, Thomas A. King, arriving the first Sunday in October, 1831.

He was a soldier in the Black Hawk war, in 1832, in the same regiment with Captain Abraham Lincoln, with whom he had many a wrestling match. Uriah Mann was married January 6, 1832, in Sangamon county, to Elizabeth King. He hauled all the rails and timber for improving his farm, on a wagon constructed by himself, without any iron, the wheels being hewn each from a single piece of timber, from the largest tree he could find. His house was built by himself, of round logs. His tables, cupboard and other furniture were made from wild cherry lumber. In the absence of saw-mills he split the timber into broad slabs, fastened them into a snatch block, hewed them to a uniform thickness, and after waiting a sufficient time for them to season, worked them into his household furniture. The first meal he ate in his own house, the meat was hog&rsquos jowl, and the bread made from frost-bitten corn. He hauled the first wheat he raised for sale to St. Louis, and sold it for thirty-five cents in trade. He is now among the most successful farmers of the county.

James Frazier Reed, was born November 14, 1800, in county Armagh, Ireland. His ancestors were of noble Polish birth, who chose exile rather than submission to the Russian power, and settled in the north of Ireland. The family name was originally Reednoski, but in process of time the Polish termination of the name was dropped, and the family was called Reed. James F. Reed&rsquos mother&rsquos name was Frazier, whose ancestors belonged to Clan Frazier, of Scottish history. Mrs. Reed, and her son, James F., came to America when he was a youth, and settled in Virginia. He remained there until he was twenty, when he left for the lead mines of Illinois, and was engaged in mining until 1831, when he came to Springfield, Sangamon county, Illinois. He served in the Black Hawk war, and at its termination returned to Springfield, where he engaged in mercantile pursuits, made money, and bought a farm near the latter city. Mr. Reed was for several years engaged in manufacturing cabinet furniture at a point on the Sangamon river, seven miles east of Springfield. He employed a large number of men, and a village grew up there, which, in honor of his first name, was called Jamestown. It has since been twice changed, first to Howlett and then to Riverton, the present name. He was married, in 1834, to Mrs. Margaret W. Backenstoe, whose maiden name was Keyes, a daughter of Humphrey Keyes. Mrs. Reed had one child by her first marriage. In April, 1846, Mr. and Mrs. Reed, with many others, started overland for California Mr. Reed settled at San Jose Mission, California, and invested in land from time to time. He was among the first who tried their fortunes at gold hunting, in which he was very successful. Of Mrs. Reed&rsquos child by a former marriage-Mrs. Virginia E. Murphy writes me, in December, 1875, that she never was taught or made to feel, during Mr. Reed&rsquos lifetime, that she was a step-child or half-sister, and that he was the most loving and indulgent step-father that ever lived. So thoughtful was he of her feelings that he took occasion, after the death of her mother, to assure her of his continued affection, and that he knew no difference between herself and his own children, as she came to him with her mother, a little babe. He made no distinction between Mrs. Murphy and his own children in his will.

John Hoover, Mr. Howell, Solomon Blue and Uriah Blue, settled on the south side of the Sangamon river in 1824 or 1825. They all being of German descent, gave to the neighborhood the name of German Prairie.

The recollection of the first school in what is now Clear Lake township, by the &ldquoold settlers&rdquo of 1881, dates back to 1828. About this time there were two school houses built, one on the north, and the other on the south side of the river. Riley Jones taught the one on the south side of the river in the winter of 1828. This school house was similar to all others built in the county at the time, being of logs.

Time has changed the course of things. There are now no log school houses, but instead, the township has two brick and five frame edifices for school purposes, the total value of which is $6,600.

The first house of worship erected in the township was by the Baptists, in 1829, though the denomination was not the first to be represented in the preaching of the gospel. The Methodists were here previously, represented by that trio so often spoken of in these pages-Revs. Peter Cartwright, James Sims, and Rivers Cormack. Aaron Vandever was the first Baptist minister. There are now four church edifices in the township, Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal, on section twenty-four the Christian, on section twenty-one and the Methodist Episcopal and Catholic, in the village of Riverton.


Sangamon Ordnance Plant

Dozens of seemingly out-of-place structures dot farm fields west of Illiopolis, the last reminders of what once was one of the U.S.’s largest producers of World War II artillery ammunition.

From 1942 to 1945, the Sangamon Ordnance Plant produced 24 million artillery shells, 10 million 90mm anti-tank rounds and more than 100 million artillery and bomb fuses and boosters. The production and transportation systems were so efficiently integrated that, as the Illinois State Journal reported in 1945, fuses that left the plant’s assembly line “on Friday of one week were affixed to shells and fired at the Germans in Italy by Thursday of the next week.”

A workforce that approached 10,000 people at its peak also helped pull the Springfield and Decatur areas out of economic doldrums created by the Great Depression and the long-term decline of coal mining. More than 60 percent of those employees were women (nicknamed WOWs – “women ordnance workers”), many of whom were working outside their homes for the first time in their lives.

A concrete structure that apparently was a “change house” where workers changed into their work uniforms and bomb/explosion shelter for the Oak plant now is used for farm storage. (SCHS)

The site covered 19,200 acres in eastern Sangamon County. Virginia Walgren explained how federal officials chose the area for ammunition production in her 2013 master’s thesis, The Historic Remains of the Sangamon Ordnance Plant (excerpts from theses and interviews below have been lightly edited for punctuation):

There were several factors contributing to Illiopolis being chosen for an ordnance plant. First, its location: Illiopolis is almost exactly the center of the state, and it is located nearly half way between Springfield and Decatur, Taylorville and Lincoln. Second, available transportation: (The site) is along what was the Wabash Railroad and the Illinois Central Traction System (also known as the Illinois Terminal, or Interurban), and U.S. 36 ran through the area as well. Even though the farmland in this area is some of the richest and most productive in the world, little consideration was given to that. Rather, it was viewed as an open spot with plenty of ground to provide a safety buffer around the plant in the event of an explosion. … Ironically, that which made the land so good for agriculture was also part of what made it so desirable for munitions production: firm, level ground with ample water and nearness to rail and roads. … Farmers both locally and across the country tried to fight the locations of ordnance plants, but to no avail. The country was in need, and that need outweighed the need of the farmers.

Explosives were kept in secure ‘igloos’ (SCHS)

In fact, the Illinois State Journal reported that farmers who attended a March 13, 1942, meeting with plant developers “became very heated.”

“The land owners listened with undisguised animosity to the projects that are taking their rich lands, when, as they see it, less fertile acres are available not far away,” the Journal said. In the end, the federal government purchased 77 tracts of land, “eight of them unwillingly,” Walgren reported.

The plant originally was built as two separate operations. North of U.S. 36 was the Oak Ordnance Plant (sometimes also called the Midland plant), operated by Johnson & Johnson. The Oak plant manufactured 90mm high-explosive shells and 3-inch, 75mm, and 76mm artillery rounds. On the south side of the highway was the original Sangamon Ordnance Plant, operated by Remington Rand. Its output included bomb and artillery fuses and fuse components, along with artillery boosters and “bursters” (a burster was the heart of an incendiary round).

The two plants merged, keeping the name Sangamon Ordnance Plant and under sole management by Remington Rand, in September 1943.

Construction was a massive undertaking, requiring 15,000 construction workers, but was accomplished quickly. The project, made public in February 1942, became fully operational by March 1943.

Blast walls were all that remained in 2015 of what probably was an Assemble, Pack and Ship building (SCHS)

Over that period, Walgren reports, workers built the bulk of more than 2,000 buildings, 58½ miles of roads, and 79 miles of railroad track within the site, along with support services like wells, water systems and sewage treatment plants.

B. David McCarthy, who wrote his own master’s thesis, The Sangamon Ordnance Plant, in 1990, added the detail that roads through the property carried “appropriate wartime names”: Victory Drive, Coral Sea Road, Pearl Harbor Drive, etc.

Influx of workers

The influx of construction workers kicked off a housing shortage in nearby communities, a situation that continued until the war ended. The Illinois State Journal outlined the impact in August 1942.

But if the situation (in Springfield) is acute, the housing problem in Illiopolis itself is almost beyond conception. As one official put it, “even the park benches” are eyed longingly by the war workers. Officials said not one home in that village is available for rent.

The village has blossomed into a huge trailer camp, with townsfolk renting out almost every inch of available space for trailer use. It was estimated that about 400 trailers are located in or near the village.

A great number of trailers also are located on the fringes of Springfield, and some realtors said many more probably would come here for the duration.

Paul Hohenstein, who was a child when the plants were built, remembered that the influx of workers had another effect on his hometown. (McCarthy interviewed Hohenstein and others in 1989 as part of his thesis research.)

(T)here was five or six taverns in our little town … and they were rowdy all the time. I know there was a pool hall up above where Sam Rogers’ store is now, his antique shop, and it was quite interesting. My father allowed us to go up there and play pool, you know, and then they had pretty important people out of Decatur and from all over come up there to gamble and it was really almost like a wild west town, it was really kind of rough. You’d see drunks laying in the street in late hours and especially in the summertime, my gosh, it was going until one or two o’clock in the morning.

Some people worried that “Okies” would flood central Illinois in search of defense jobs, a fear Illinois State Journal columnist A.L. Bowen tried to squelch in a May 1942 column.

A yard in Illiopolis (Pritchett album)

From the start, he wrote, “it was the plan to draw all the employees within a radius of fifty miles, so that most of them could come from their homes and return to them each day. …

“There will be some trailer camp population but I doubt that it will ever be large enough to be serious, either during production or after it ceases. Whatever size the trailer camp problem may assume, it can be handled and all the anticipated evils prevented.”

Bowen turned out to be right. The ordnance plants’ labor pool ultimately was concentrated in an area generally bounded by Springfield, Decatur, Taylorville and Lincoln.

On-site dormitories accommodated a relatively small proportion of plant workers – the five dorms could hold about 800 people. They paid weekly rents ranging from $3.50 each to share a room up to $5.25 for an extra-large private room. Meanwhile, the plant’s top supervisors lived in 40 two-story private homes, 20 on each of the original two plant sites. (Those homes remain as private residences today.)

Sangamon Ordnance Plant employees on the Illinois Terminal’s first special train to the plant, Sept. 2, 1942 (Courtesy State Journal-Register)

The thousands of other workers commuted from their homes, many by bus or auto, but most on special trains running on the Illinois Terminal Railroad’s old Interurban line, which paralleled U.S. 36 and the Wabash Railroad between Springfield and Decatur. In June 1942, the IT bought 55 retired wooden passenger cars from the New York City transit system, remodeled them for IT use and inaugurated the Victory Special route to and from the ammunition plants.

“The Victory Special: The lllinois Terminal and the Sangamon Ordnance Plant,” an article written by Steve Holding, Dale Jenkins and Ray Reed for the Wabash Railroad Historical Society, reported that the cars were readied quickly.

The new seating arrangement consisted of three rows of cane upholstered benches running the length of the car. Capacity was approximately 100 people, with hanging straps for standees. The cars had good lighting, ample electric heat, and were painted in standard IT tangerine orange. …

(The first eight cars) were assigned to ordnance service, which began with the transporting of plant office staff workers on September 2, 1942. Soon after, over half of the workers at the uncompleted plants were riding the trains to work.

The first official Victory Special – 11 passenger cars and 500 riders, pulled by a red, white and blue locomotive — left Springfield’s IT station on Clear Lake Avenue at 7:45 a.m. Nov. 29, 1942. A single trip was 20 cents, while a weekly discount ticket was $1.50. The trains were exclusively for ordnance plant workers, so riders also had to carry special passes, which were checked by guards aboard the trains.

Munitions manufacture

Artillery components were manufactured on 11 “load lines” – seven on the original Sangamon Ordnance campus and four on the Oak site.

The Voice of Sangamon, the merged plant’s monthly newsletter, in March 1945 took readers step-by-step through production of a 90mm shell, including the painstaking process of loading it with TNT.

The federal government recognized the Oak Ordnance Plant with an “E” (for excellence) award in 1943 and added three stars to the flag, signifying continued high-quality work by the combined Sangamon Ordnance Plant, in 1944 and 1945.

Security and safety

Sangamon Ordnance employee badge (eBay)

The site was surrounded by barbed-wire fences. Six hundred plant security officers patrolled the perimeter in cars and on horseback, and employees had to show badges to enter the plant.

Inside the fences, safety precautions required load-line workers to change into coverall uniforms and wear specially designed shoes. McCarthy detailed some of the required measures.

In a facility where dangerous explosives were handled as a part of nearly every stage of manufacturing, safety was the prime concern for all employees. Precautions were taken to eliminate sparks which might set off an explosion. Workers were not allowed to wear jewelry and women were not allowed the use of hair pins or bobby pins. Searches were conducted before workers were allowed on the job. Matches were forbidden in the production areas.

Each worker was outfitted with a special pair of safety shoes which had rubber and graphite soles and heel plugs to bleed electricity from the body to the ground. … The shoes were designed to be black with brown toes so that guards could tell at a glance if workers were wearing the proper safety footwear. …

Two types of plastic non-sparking glasses were provided for those who wore glasses. … The only items that workers were allowed to carry onto the line were: handkerchiefs, wallets, wooden pencils, glasses and gum.

The precautions were effective. Despite the millions of shells that went through the plant, only two people died as the result of production line incidents. (At least four others were killed in other accidents in or near the plant, including one man whose body was found in the debris of a dormitory that was destroyed by a fire in January 1944.)

There were other hazards besides explosions, including “powder poison,” the result of handling TNT powder. Lila Roese of Springfield discussed her case of powder poison with McCarthy in an interview.

It was terrible, you turned yellow. Just as yellow as yellow could be and orange, your hair turned orange, and your whole body that was exposed to the powder turned yellow. And I laid for a week, well, I went to work every day, but I was a week in the hospital out there. A car would pick me up and take me up to the hospital and keep me. All the veins in my face came to the surface and it was terrible. …

You could tell when you went anywhere, you could tell who was working in the powder because they all turned the same color.

Promotion for skin cream (The Voice of Sangamon)

The long-term cure for powder poisoning was simply to move to a different ordnance job. The condition was caused by skin contact with TNT, which was difficult to prevent even with protective clothing, gloves and masks. The February 1945 edition of The Voice of Sangamon, without ever quite mentioning powder poison, encouraged workers to use Fend-O, a cream that, the article said, “acts as a film and prevents toxic dust from contacting the skin.” (A related product, Fend-X, was recommended to prevent skin irritation and promote smoother skin.)

Hiring and morale

Recruiting and keeping employees was a struggle during the plant’s entire existence, and recruitment personnel had to be imaginative. The plant actively sought teachers, students and farmers to work seasonally, and people who could fit it into their schedules were encouraged to take on four-hour shifts at the ordnance plant after finishing their regular workdays elsewhere (McCarthy says this was mainly an option for residents of Decatur, which was much closer than Springfield to Illiopolis). And a “twin worker” program even allowed two employees to split a single job assignment, working alternate days.

A typical newspaper advertisement in January 1944 (ad below courtesy SJ-R) aimed mainly at women, was headlined “What Can I Do?” It promised “excellent wages” with overtime, paid vacations, group insurance, free medical service, “good meals served at our Company’s Cafeteria at low cost,” free uniforms and safety shoes, a “large well-supervised nursery to care for children while you work,” and “pleasant associates in a large modern war plant.”

The plant also needed 200 “husky and able bodied men” for heavier jobs, the ad noted, but in a nod to the difficulty of finding qualified workers, added, “persons now engaged in essential war work should not apply.”

Base pay for a trained worker was 75 cents an hour, McCarthy found.

The most innovative employee benefit may have been the nursery school/daycare facility that was added to one of the dorms in September 1943. In his thesis, McCarthy reported that a staff of six cared for 50 children (ages 2-14) during day shifts five days a week.

Today this arrangement would not seem so unusual with many employers providing some form of daycare facilities. In the 1940s, though, this was described as a “unique setup, not common in connection with industries over the country.”

The facilities, which were housed in the north dormitory on the south side, included: sleeping rooms, dining rooms, a modern kitchen, a music room, and an outdoor playground. A ninety foot indoor playroom was also available with play equipment. The outdoor playground was fenced and had slides, teeter-totters, sandboxes, and outdoor toys. In addition to lunch, children at the center were given a mid-morning snack of milk and cookies.

The center was often used as an enticement for mothers to come to work at the plant. Although difficult to prove, the availability of child care must have proved attractive to many women.

Morale-boosters included plant newsletters – prior to the merger of the two plants, the Oak Ordnance Plant’s own newsletter was The Acorn. The monthly publications included feature articles, safety suggestions, war bond solicitations, articles on plant procedures and management, and humor. But their heart was chatty reporting on employee milestones – awards, weddings, military enlistments and promotions, and general gossip.

Sports were a big part of the plants’ recreation programs, with softball, basketball, bowling and other intra-employee competitions held in Springfield and Decatur as well as on-site. Results were prominently reported in the newsletters.

The Oak plant also had a recreation building “equipped with record players, radio, comfortable lounging chairs, motion picture equipment and games,” the Illinois State Journal’s Beulah Gordon wrote in August 1943, and even a plant orchestra, “which furnishes music for most of the dances (and) appears periodically in the main cafeteria where employees provide various types of entertainment.”

The cafeteria/coffee shop building could accommodate almost 500 people in a single sitting. Ten physicians and 25 nurses worked in the site hospital, which included X-ray equipment.

Sometimes, Sangamon Ordnance workers would get a direct reminder of the effect they were having on the war. In early 1945, Bernice Harris of K Line, who had written her name on one of the fuses she worked on, received a letter signed by 13 soldiers with the Belgium-based 2nd Gun Section. Reprinted in The Voice of Sangamon, it said:

While we were in Luxembourg hitting a part of the Nazi counter-attack, we ran across a fuze with your name and also that of a fellow worker (Bud Rahey) on it. That was the day before Xmas, so we decided to save it for the next day, and present it as a gift to the Nazis from the both of you. Sure enough, the next morning our R.O. (reconnaissance officer) … spotted some enemy activity in a wooded area and called for a battery concentration of fire. The first round out of our gun that day carried your signature on the fuze.

The Germans have well learned to respect our artillery, and I know it will make you feel proud to know that one of your pieces of work landed on the Krauts as a Christmas greeting.

Minority workers

Loading shells into cartons on Line A (“A Shell Is Born,” The Voice of Sangamon)

Some plant photographs show African-Americans working on production lines and in some skilled maintenance posts, and there was at least one black security officer. However, newsletters and other sources make it clear that, as in 1940s society in general, most black employees at the ordnance plant were relegated to low-level service jobs.

The janitorial and dormitory housekeeping staffs were virtually all black. In the cafeteria, while all the “busgirls” were black, cooks and food handlers were nearly all white. Administration and clerical personnel were nearly all, perhaps exclusively, white.

The biggest influx of black workers took place in early 1944, when 400 members of an African-American Army unit from Camp Ellis were assigned to Sangamon Ordnance for two weeks of training in ammunition handling.

Not surprisingly, there seem to have been no African-American supervisors, even in areas where blacks made up all the lower-level workers. (For that matter, while some white women did reach supervisor status, white men made up the bulk of supervisory personnel, and all the top plant executives were white men.)

The Sangamon Ordnance Plant was declared “surplus” on Sept. 6, 1945, two weeks after V-J Day. Although some areas had to be decontaminated first (chemical residues continued to be found in some sites around the former plant for decades), most of the property was put up for sale.

Many of the plant’s frame buildings were sold at fire-sale prices and relocated (Walgren includes a list in her paper) or demolished for scrap. The earliest facilities at what is now Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport included a half-dozen former ordnance structures. The Auburn School District bought an “auto shelter” for $11.

Previous owners of farmland got the first opportunity to buy the land back, at a discounted price that reflected the damage the land had suffered and the need to remove unneeded structures, foundations, gravel roads, etc. If a landowner or tenant chose not to return, farms were offered to war veterans via lottery. Claire Pritchett described her husband’s purchase of a small farm through the veterans’ program.

What we paid for it I have no idea, I really don’t, but it was a very small amount comparatively, they really did not cheat you when they were selling the ground back. … (T)he house that we received from it you could not go in and live, of course, it had been sitting empty with broken windows and such as this during the time and the people left it dirty. I mean, we started in with a scoop shovel. It was a framework and that was about the extent of it. Well, we put in windowpanes, not new windows, and we have an eight-room home with a basement and a walk-in attic, so there’s a lot of house there but basically we had to do an awful lot of work. And there was no running water and no electricity.

Dora Welch, one of McCarthy’s 1989 interviewees, recalled that her brother-in-law was able to repurchase his family’s property off the Mount Pulaski/Welch Road. “He was so happy when he got the land back that he got down and kissed it.”

Industrial buyers included DeKalb Inc., which bought land and buildings to raise chicks and for seed corn production, and American Polymer Co., which opened a plant on the old south side of the ordnance site. Borden Chemical bought that property in 1953 and greatly upgraded and expanded the facilities to produce plastic polymers.

Damage from the Formosa Plastics explosion, 2004 (U.S. Chemical Safety Board)

Formosa Plastics, in turn, bought out Borden in 2002. However, a massive explosion of polyvinyl chloride on April 23, 2004, killed five people, seriously injured three others, and wrecked the plant. Few traces of the facility remained in 2015.

When Walgren completed her study in 2013, only 159 of the 914 buildings she had mapped were still standing in good condition another 89 were standing, but dilapidated. By 2015, another dozen structures had been totally removed. (Note that the vast majority, if not all, ordnance buildings that remain are on private property and not accessible by the public.)

“The remaining portions of the site … contain none or very little surface evidence to show what had once stood there,” Walgren wrote.

Pride in victory

Writer James Krohe Jr. wrote about the Sangamon Ordnance Plant and its workers for Illinois Times in 1976:

The men and women who populated the city in the bean fields felt themselves soldiers, albeit soldiers of a different sort than the ones who killed and were killed by the shells and bombs they helped make. They understood, historians would only come to realize later, that it was America’s factories that won the war—and they were proud of it.

McCarthy’s interviewees, however, were more down to earth.

“All the farmers, my mother even, went to work on the line,” said John Lyon, an ordnance plant security guard who eventually farmed some of the land. “There was no other jobs right around at the time, only this one, and this was the most essential job, and we all went to work at it.…

“We didn’t get mad because the government took our land, because we didn’t want the Japanese to take it.”

More information: You can download a .pdf of Walgren’s thesis by following the Dropbox link in the fourth paragraph of this entry. McCarthy’s thesis is available at Lincoln Library in Springfield, and both theses can be read at the Illiopolis/Niantic Public Library in llliopolis.

The Wabash Railroad Historical Society article is available at the Illiopolis library. That library also possesses a large scrapbook containing laminated news articles about the Sangamon Ordnance Plant and related issues it was compiled by the late Ruth Pritchett, who herself worked at the plant.

Both libraries have some copies of The AcornThe Voice of Sangamon, including the March 1945 Səs that contained “A Shell Is Born.”

Illinois State Journal coverage of the plant is available through Lincoln Library. Transcripts of McCarthy’s 12 interviews can be read through the Illinois Digital Archives: search for “Sangamon Ordnance Plant Project.” Other sources are linked above.

Hat tip: To Virginia Walgren, for directing me to her thesis and for her help in identifying remaining structures.

Original content copyright Sangamon County Historical Society. You are free to republish this content as long as credit is given to the Society.Learn how to support the Society.


Illinois Natural History Survey - University of Illinois

The major natural features of the Sangamon River RRA are the forest tract at Robert Allerton Park and the Sangamon River. The area is highly agricultural. This RRA is relatively small.

LANDCOVER : Nearly three-fourths of the Sangamon River RRA is cropland, the highest percentage among the RRAs. Fourteen percent of the RRA is grassland and 10% is wooded. Upland and bottomland wood percentages are moderately low. This site has the lowest acreage and lowest percentage of nonforested wetlands of the RRAs there are only 49 acres of nonforested wetland identified in this site.

NATURAL AREAS : The two Natural Areas are Robert Allerton Park and the Sangamon River.

BIOLOGICALLY SIGNIFICANT STREAMS : A 15.5 mile stretch of the Sangamon River is designated as a BSS stream.

HERITAGE SITES : There are eight Heritage sites in this RRA representing four communities types, three animal species, and one large forest tract.

STATE AND FEDERAL LAND : No state or federal land occurs in this RRA.

NATURE PRESERVES : No Nature Preserves occur in this RRA.

NATURAL DIVISIONS : This RRA lies entirely within the Grand Prairie Natural Division.

SUMMARY OF SITE CHARACTERISTICS: SIZE, BIOLOGIC RESOURCES, AND PUBLIC LANDS


Sangamon I - History

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

This Site is Available for Adoption

Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data for the free use of all researchers.

We're looking for folks who share our dedication to putting data online and are interested in helping this project be as successful as it can be. If you are interested in joining Genealogy Trails, view our Volunteer Page for further information and then contact us
(Enough knowledge to make a basic webpage and a desire to transcribe data is required)

We need help with contributions of your data, history and stories to make this a great site for research!
Everything is helpful: Obituaries, Biographies, County History, Census Records, Family Bible Records, to name a few. We do not put gedcoms or family trees online - we're looking for the transcribed data from the ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS that you used to put your tree together.

As data becomes available, we'll put it on this site. Information will be posted as fast as we can find, type and/or receive it. It helps immensely if you can transcribe whatever you're sending us (rather than sending us a scanned picture to type from)

We have an easy form to
Submit an Obituary

Send other types of data directly to US

We welcome your feedback, comments, and your data contributions.

We regret that we are unable to perform personal research for folks.
All data we come across will be added to this site.
We thank you for visiting and hope you'll come back again to view the updates we make to this site.

If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Sangamon county is covered under our original Illinois Trails mailing list.


State Capitol at Springfield
Submitted by Bill and Karen Miller

Cities and Towns
* Auburn * Berlin * Buffalo * Cantrall * Chatham * Clear Lake
* Curran * Dawson * Divernon * Grandview * Illiopolis * Jerome * Leland Grove *
Loami * Mechanicsburg * New Berlin * Pawnee * Pleasant Plains * Riverton * Rochester *
Sherman * Southern View * Spaulding * Springfield * Thayer * Williamsville

Unincorporated communities
* Andrew * Archer * Barclay * Bates * Bissell * Bolivia
* Bradfordton * Breckenridge * Buffalo Hart * Cimic * Devereux
* Farmingdale * Glenarm * Ildes Park Place * Lowder * New City
* Old Berlin * Riddle Hill * Roby * Salisbury * Sicily * Toronto


Note: Content for the Abbreviated History has been taken from UIS Archives/Special Collections.

  • Governor Richard Ogilvie signed into law Public Act 76-131, the bill creating Sangamon State University. At that time, the Central Illinois Committee for Higher Education was formed to raise funds and acquire land for the new University.
  • Dr. Robert C. Spencer began work as its first president. on the Archives/Special Collections website.

“A surveyor’s stake, standing in the furrowed ground of an Illinois prairie, announces that the co-ordinates of plan upon plan, meeting upon meeting, drawing upon drawing, and survey upon survey have focused on this as the point around which all the activities of a new university will revolve.”

– From the Long Range Development Plan, Sangamon State University, by architects Murphy, Downey, Wofford & Richman, 1970.


Videoya baxın: Ümumi tarix 7-ci sinif Xəzər xaqanlığı (Avqust 2022).